• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 24, 2019

    Personal Finance My parents water bill shows water usage of 10,000 gallons.

    Personal Finance My parents water bill shows water usage of 10,000 gallons.


    My parents water bill shows water usage of 10,000 gallons.

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 02:26 PM PDT

    While I was visiting my parents during a college break, my father got his water bill in the mail. He blew up over the price of the bill at $160. So, I took a look at the bill and it shows that he has an average of 6 to 7k for the past two years.

    I called the water department and they see the consistency of their bill. The 10k was odd but they told me check for leaks. So, I did but everything was dry. My father blamed my mother for letting sink drip after washing her hair. My mother thinks the neighbor is stealing the water after he got his in-ground sprinkler installed.

    So, Reddit are there any proactive tips I can share with my parents to rectify this situation?

    submitted by /u/MXAGhost
    [link] [comments]

    Pretty Sure I'm Going to be Fired soon, Any last minute things I should keep in mind?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 04:49 PM PDT

    So I'm pretty sure I've seen the writing on the wall. I recently asked for a performance raise and was not only rejected but criticized for my work ethic and performance. For reference, my boss has already interviewed 2 candidates and I overheard theres 3 more candidates to interview.

    I'm still contributing 35% to my 401k while I have the chance to contribute. I have an E-fund to last me 4.5 months and I've estimated a positive tax refund of about 1.5 months expenses should shit hit the fan.

    For those who've been fired, looking back, what things do you wish you knew beforehand? I am expecting a good "shock" the day it happens. I would be surprised if I lasted until the end of the year since my boss could save money on paying for the upcoming Holiday paid days off. I don't think my boss would offer severance as they're stingy on expenses generally. Aside from filing for unemployment, are there any actionable items to do soon after getting fired? Is there anything to "prepare" before getting fired?

    submitted by /u/RedditorSince2000
    [link] [comments]

    How can I prevent my father from getting into day trading.

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 01:22 PM PDT

    My father is nearing retirement age and has worked hard his entire life, is fairly clever and has built up a nice little best egg. Around 250k. (house + pension all sorted). So the 250 K is for all the other things.

    However he has always been interested in the stock market and keeps talking about these online courses and YouTube people who are "educators" and that they already made their money and just want to educate people. One of them will show people how to draw lines on a graph and know when to sell and buy stocks etc.

    It's really frustrating because he has kind of lived his life where if you know someone or have a good feeling about them then they can be trusted.

    Any books or videos I can show him that explain how risky this is?

    Or any advice really.

    submitted by /u/ratbag16
    [link] [comments]

    Do you think I got a raise because I asked to take 2 days off early this week?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 05:36 PM PDT

    I asked to take off early on the same day and another day this week. I hardly ask for time off, just about a day a month. I've been at the job for 4 months. Just 2 days after I asked for the time off, my boss walked up to me and said I'd be getting the raise. I thought it looked like I'm interviewing. They regularly say I'm doing a good job. The timing is interesting though.

    submitted by /u/CoolUserName1475
    [link] [comments]

    Aggressively pay off a 0% interest student loan while in school or bank the money in the meantime?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 05:15 PM PDT

    I'm 28. I currently make 46k a year. I've gone back to school with a career change in the near future, going from government work to accounting. I anticipate completing school in about 10 to 16 months depending on when courses become available. I've saved 3k for the next term's tuition already, what will be owed. I'm committed to not taking out more student loans than I already have. I currently have 12k remaining from my original bachelor's degree. These are all federally subsidized loans, so they are collecting 0% interest while in school. When I'm not in school they will be collecting 3.5%. This is my only debt.

    I currently have 36k in HYSA earning 2.15%, 1.5k in a checking accounting, and 31k invested in brokerage and retirement accounts. I plan on buying a house next spring/summer around 130k. I will be gifted a down payment by a relative. With everything happening is it wise to just keep tossing cash into my HYSA since I'll be making 2.15% on it and I'll have more liquid cash for house stuff? My student loan payment will be about $130 when I return to the payment plan when I'm done with school. Or should I just focus heavily on the student loans over the next few months until I buy a home?

    submitted by /u/dogcatthrowaway123
    [link] [comments]

    Hi! am 19 years old, I just graduated highscool and am now a Front Desk Agent at the Hilton Garden Inn for $11/hr. After tax it looks more like $9/hr. I worked 83 hours over the past two weeks and my paycheck after tax was $772.

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 06:32 PM PDT

    I am happy to be able to get paid at a young age and I just bought my first Vanguard ETF on the S&P 500 index. I also have $100 dollars in my Roth IRA account. Citizens bank savings account is up to $154.50 and checking account is at $555.26. I know these are small numbers, but with time they will grow.

    I recently had a very inspiring conversation with a gentleman who was staying at the hotel. We talked about everything from my life plans, to where we were investing our money, to family financial situations.

    Once thing that he said to me really stood out to me. He said that if I really want to scale my career and start making a REAL salary (not $9/hr practically minimum wage) that I would need a college degree.

    I honestly agree with him, but I have 2 issues with college:

    Issue number one is that I have never been passionate about anything related to academics or education.

    Issue number two is that I don't want to put myself into debt with student loans.

    Given the following information I've written above, what would you recommend is my next step? The Hilton offers a 401k match after you've been with them for 1 year. What if I were to just bite the bullet and stay strong and stay with them for the next couple of years?

    Did I jump into the workforce too early in my life? I have a good "human" skill set i.e communication, interaction. The skill set that I am lacking is some form of higher education/degree that would enable me to apply for, say, a computer software company, or a biochemistry lab. Something more intricate than guest service/personality based jobs. I often find that the more intellectual your job title is, the more money you make. As an example, someone that keeps track of company finances and works with lots of numbers is almost certainly going to make more money than someone who just checks people in and out of a hotel room. What do you think of this perspective?

    One thing I plan on doing is asking one of my superiors how much money he makes. Hes been in the hotel business for 6 years, and is a great colleague and has been really helpful throughout my introduction process to this job.

    Any insight/opinions are welcome. I am hoping to get responses from people who are making good money and doing well for themselves, and will definitely inquire with you guys on whether or not a college degree helped you get there.

    Thanks and I look forward to reading the replies that this (hopefully) gets.

    submitted by /u/in_dat_shurt
    [link] [comments]

    $7.3k car loan balance at 4.9% - should I pay it off?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 06:20 PM PDT

    I have a car loan that has $7.3k remaining at 4.9% interest. I'm trying to determine if I should just pay it off since I have the cash.

    Details:

    -52k/yr base salary — $3080/month post tax (I also earn sales commission which usually averages as an extra 2k/month)

    • monthly car payment is $290.43

    • E fund/savings is currently $36k

    • 10% pre-tax 401k contribution (I know, I know. I will be bumping that up very soon)

    -currently saving $1.5-3k/month depending on commissions. $1.5 being the low end with almost no sales commission.

    -dunno if it really matters but it's a 2011 Mercedes c300, 68k miles.

    Any input would be helpful!

    submitted by /u/shivercomplex
    [link] [comments]

    Bad credit, cant afford dental work...need advice

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 06:19 PM PDT

    Very low credit (working on slowly paying debt off, only ~$3,000 of debt left but that also means missing some payments to pay the higher interest payments off first), I have nobody to cosign, I dont qualify for a credit card or care credit. Struggling with bills all around and it's really taking a toll on my mental health. Currently have a molar tooth that is broken in half and 2 impacted wisdom teeth that are partially out...right now I believe I have an infection but I really need these teeth taken out. I'm lost as to what I should do. Tried looking into different offices and even dental schools, but most offices around here say they only use care credit and the dental schools have a 6+ month waiting list. Anybody have advice as to what options I have?

    submitted by /u/Lostinthetrees010519
    [link] [comments]

    Dave Ramsey: What aspects of his method do you agree with and which aspects do you disagree with?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 08:32 AM PDT

    As a daily listener of Dave Ramsey's podcast and one who is going through baby step 2 (paying of all personal debt), I am curious to kind of get out of that bubble and hear what others have to say about his methods. As the title says, what aspects of his methodology do you agree with and what do you think he gets wrong? I personally think that investing in growth stock mutual funds as he recommends is not the best way to get the highest return over the long term. What do you think?

    submitted by /u/asheybani92
    [link] [comments]

    Don't really know what sub this would fit in to, but a random charge has come out of my PayPal account and not sure where to go from here

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 03:46 PM PDT

    So I got a charge of £79.99 taken out of my bank account (through my PayPal account) except this definitely wasn't something I accidentally bought somewhere or whatever. I also don't even have any online account with the seller's website so I'm not sure in what way I'm supposed to contact them about it. I've rang my bank, who directed me to PayPal, but after reporting the payment via the Resolution Centre the case was denied because it "wasn't an unauthorised transaction." I've since removed my debit card from the account and changed the password etc. bc I'm assuming someone's gotten hold of my PayPal login somehow somewhere. I emailed the seller who directed me to the bank/PayPal :/ Have I just lost this money for good or is there some extra step? It's pretty shitty that this money is just gone with no explanation, I'd like to hopefully resolve this before it's just gone for good

    submitted by /u/hunkiedory
    [link] [comments]

    Medical insurance deductible for pregnancies that last over the New Year.

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 07:52 PM PDT

    My wife is pregnant and is due next year. I'm on a high deductible HSA plan. She has already met her personal deductible for this year, so we're only paying 20% of her bills for the rest of the year and probably won't hit max out of pocket.

    So my question is: Is there any way to get all of our pregnancy/birth bills lumped into a single year so we don't need to meet the deductible twice? I read something on NerdWallet that briefly mentioned the term 'global billing' which is supposed to solve this problem, but I haven't been able to find anything else about it. I've called my insurer, who has confirmed that the deductible will indeed reset.

    I wanted a second opinion from a few people who may have more experience in this area.

    I'm in the midst of open enrollment now an my company, and will have the option of getting a higher tier plan, which may play out to be better for us given the known large expense.

    It just seems strange to me that getting pregnant in the first few months of the year would be so much more financially advantageous.

    submitted by /u/CapnJPants
    [link] [comments]

    529 or taxable for 2nd child

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 02:20 PM PDT

    Had anyone went with only 1 529 account and 1 taxable for 2 kids? Just in case only 1 goes to college. I already have a 529 account for my 2 years old with his gift money + our contribution. We have 1 child due December. Not sure if I want to open a 529 for him or a taxable. What are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/lilgacon
    [link] [comments]

    PayPal is holding $450 from me for a cancelled order. Its been 23 days and they won’t release it to me

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 11:04 AM PDT

    As title says, I placed an order to Best Buy on oct 1 for $450. I canceled the order 2 hours after because I used my paypal balance instead of my credit card (I wanted to use my CC). I got cancellation confirmation from Best Buy, so I made the same order again using my CC, but also through PayPal.

    As of today, 3 weeks later, I have a finalized purchase of $450 using my CC through PayPal and a pending transaction of $450 using my paypal balance.

    I've been on the phone with Best Buy and PayPal for 5+ hours each trying to get it released. Best Buy is blaming PayPal, PayPal is blaming Best Buy.

    PayPal says Best Buy has the $450 in their account and they need to cancel the transaction in order for it to be released. Best Buy is saying they never accepted my payment because the order was cancelled and PayPal needs to authorize the release.

    I don't know what to do. I can't get access to that $450 and neither company wants to help me. Any advice is helpful

    submitted by /u/mckaysquirrel
    [link] [comments]

    First time home-buyer on one income

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 07:08 PM PDT

    Like the title suggest, my husband and I are wanting to buy our first home. We will have a little over 25k in the bank when we get ready to buy. We just paid off our car loans, and the only debt we are is my husbands student loan which is about 5.5k. Combined income is 115k before tax. However, my husband makes 64k a year and we are wanting to get approved on the one income alone.

    So, I guess my question is, my husband has good credit but now great. 680 I think? But we did just finish paying off two car loans under his name, and we paid them off 2 years early. Would they still need to run my credit? I don't have any credit whatsoever. Never had a loan, or any type of debt.

    Also, we are looking to buy within 150k range? Is that do-able?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/guccibiscuits
    [link] [comments]

    Cash payment for financed vehicle

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 06:51 PM PDT

    Since you all seem aware of risk involved with moving money around i figured i could find some good advice here. My MIL made a private deal with someone to purchase a vehicle. The vehicle is financed so the credit union has the title. The seller owes more on the vehicle than the agreeable price, and the seller will pay the difference on the loan. What's the best way to obtain a title in this situation and is there anything else to look out for? I never purchases a vehicle this way and I'm always cautious about transferring money and hope to give her good advice.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/Throwit406
    [link] [comments]

    How much power does a dealership have on the price of a car?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 04:38 PM PDT

    I went to a Nissan dealership to look at altimas and they had a 2016 Altima SR with 46k miles for sale at 14,688. I was interested in it so had a salesperson show it to me and did a test drive. After the test drive and we got back to the lot he asked if I would want to run the numbers to see how much I could buy it for. I said I would be interested in seeing the numbers but probably wouldnt buy it same day. So he agrees and we go inside and do some paperwork so he can do a credit check.

    The finance guy then comes after running the report and initially said I could do payments of $370-380 with a 2k down payment. Then wanted to try to get me to buy same day so lowered to $300/month for 72 months and I said I still wouldn't be able to due to having other loans but would consider it in a month when I am done with one of my multiple loans. So he said what about if he can try to get it to $150/month.

    150 * 72 months = 10,800. How was he going to sell me the car for that price? did he say that he would "try" and then come back with another number or does the finance guy at the dealership have the power to change the price of the car that much?

    I told him I would have to think about it and talk it over with my girlfriend and can come back this weekend if we agree that it is a doable payment. If he can get the vehicle to that price I am very interested in getting it but not sure if he can even get it to that price or if he does have hidden fees elsewhere?

    Thank you!

    Tldr; Dealership offered $300/month for 72 months, then offered $150/month after not taking the first offer. Is this too good to be true or is there something I'm not catching on?

    submitted by /u/willynjas
    [link] [comments]

    Starting new career - Stay with parents or move out?

    Posted: 24 Oct 2019 05:53 PM PDT

    Hey guys I just need some advice as I'm starting a new career in the near future in LA. I'm a 26 year old male. Take home pay will be ~3800 a month. My car is paid off and is fairly new (2018) so safe to say it'll be reliable the next few years. No student loans (GI Bill paid for college). Have about 110k saved up between retirement(TSP), roth IRA, taxable brokerage account, and savings accounts.

    Option 1 - Move out

    Rent - I'm looking at around ~1500 a month to rent a master bedroom, or 1800-2000 for a studio.

    Food / Car Insurance / Phone - Over estimating it to 800 a month

    This would leave me about 1000-1500 a month for leisure / savings / 401k contributions.

    Option 2 - Stay at home

    Rent will be free, but I'll be commuting about 4 hours each day round trip.

    Food / Car Insurance / Phone - Same, 800 a month

    I'll be able to keep my job as a waiter on Saturdays and Sundays = extra ~1000 a month (conservative estimate)

    This would basically leave me my whole salary for leisure / savings / 401k contributions AND gas+wear/tear+depreciation on my car.

    Just looking to get some input for those who have been in the same predicament, as I can't really determine if the huge savings from staying home will be worth the toll of commuting. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/gayforgoblin
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment