• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 30, 2019

    Accounting Busy season is coming...

    Accounting Busy season is coming...


    Busy season is coming...

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 02:19 PM PDT

    On the phone with Thomson Reuters Support for more than an hour, they told me I was in the wrong phone tree.

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 01:30 PM PDT

    PSA

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 04:38 PM PDT

    Oh the pancake brains are going to lose their SHIT over this!

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 10:37 AM PDT

    God works in mysterious ways

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 05:14 PM PDT

    Unendless cycle of an accountant

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 11:53 PM PDT

    Join this sub-reddit and get blasted with these ads.....

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 12:53 PM PDT

    F’s in the chat

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 08:52 PM PDT

    A NIGHTMARE ADVENTURE

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 09:00 AM PDT

    Anyone ever feel like everyone not in your accounting department is a freaking moron?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 02:55 PM PDT

    I swear to god. Every day I interact with people and get the response "oh did I need to tell finance that?" YES, YES YOU DID JEFF. YOU DON'T GET TO CHANGE SOMETHING THAT AFFECTS OUR SOX CONTROLS JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO SUSAN.

    ~end rant~

    submitted by /u/CornDawgy87
    [link] [comments]

    For my five peeps in Canadian tax

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 02:59 PM PDT

    Moss Adams

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 05:04 PM PDT

    Anyone here work at Moss Adams? Just received my full time offer for tax in CA after college and planning on accepting. Would love to hear people's thoughts about the firm. Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/puggiewug98
    [link] [comments]

    What do you do when your industry accounting job has longer hours than Big 4?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 07:02 PM PDT

    The people are really great and are happy to help. When I was a staff at Big 4, most people were jerks but at least we all left at or before 6pm every night except during busy season and then continued to work from home. Unfortunately my team disliked me which made it hard for me to make the extra effort.

    Now the guy I report to literally lives in the office. He's much nicer and helpful than my senior manager in Big 4 and I've learned a ton from him in just a short amount of time. I leave earlier than him (at 7 or 8) but unlike In B4, I don't get a free taxi ride or dinner and working from home is prohibited.

    It boggles my mind how my B4 senior manager never coached me yet my current boss (a former B4 senior manager) coaches me everyday.

    I'm learning a lot but my hours can actually be much worse than they were during non-busy season times in Big 4, where I worked 40 hours/week in the summers. My title is staff accountant yet I feel like I'm doing work that my boss has been doing and wants me to do.

    I want to stick with it but at the same time I'm wondering if it's normal to work these hours in industry. It's gotten to the point where I'm the one skimping out on dinner dates with folks I met at big 4 because I need to work late.

    submitted by /u/helpmeh1248
    [link] [comments]

    Manager Vs. Senior in Public Accounting

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 09:40 PM PDT

    Well, it's been about 6 months since I started managing jobs.

    Figured its about 6 months before you get accustomed to a new role.

    Thought I'd share my experiences for those that are considering if they should stick it out or not.

    Actual work - Positives

    1. By 2nd/3rd year senior, teaching new associates sucks. It's nice to have capable seniors under you do actually get things done.
    2. When you get to do the accounting, it's much nicer to not have to "do" the accounting but review things that are generally not a total nightmare by the time they get to you.
    3. The job is 10x more flexible. Not having to be on the client site everyday is nice. I work from home a lot, I go home early or come in late as needed for other things. I take 3 day weekends more and shift work hours more, everything is infinitely more flexible. Which is very nice for me.
    4. The pay for the first year with retenion bonuses is competitive with other industry jobs so youre not missing out for once for one year.
    5. I get to do more interesting things - work on proposals, take things on as I want for managing the practice. I do "have time" to do firm inititives.
    6. When you do accounting, it's usually higher level stuff that's more interesting. I spend little time reviewing operating expenses or other shit.

    Actual work - Negatives

    1. On the other hand of having capable people under you - it sucks when you have no one from being understaffed, or people quitting and the firm dragging their feet on replacements, or bad performers. You're the only one left to pick up the pieces because the partner isn't doing shit.
    2. I hate dealing with staffing. All this digital technology spouted in your face and you're opening ancient staffing program to fit a giant cube into a tiny circle. Nothing is worse than everyone fighting over scarce resources.
    3. You do a lot less accounting and a lot more managing of the firm operations and your audits. Not like project management like PBCs, but just making sure things are happening. Instead of learning accounting you're learning more about asinine rules about when you need to consult on an independence issue because something retarded came up and you have to talk to some partner about changing the word "consolidating" into "consolidated" on your audit opinon or something pointless. I spend a lot more time than I would like on trying to work with crappy technology and crappy staffing situations and asinine audit rules than I do on actual accounting.
    4. If things are a total nightmare by the time they come to you, it's 10x harder to deal with because you don't have time for that shit. As a senior you could roll up your sleeves. As a manager you have twice as many engagements so half as much time to do that + other obligations.
    5. There's A LOT less processes in place. It's like you get promoted and all of the sudden, you're on your own. The trainings are worthless and nobody tells you anything because there's not really a process.

    Other thoughts

    1. I'm surprised in ways, some good and some bad. I'm working less than I thought I would be (managers always "look busy", and they are, but the hours seem similar, just different kind of busy.
    2. I thought the partners would be more intimidating to work with all the time now. OFC i worked with them directly before but figured there was some mask they had for below managers. But they're just as busy or more and as long as things aren't blowing up, that's usually a good news report so they're chill.
    3. I thought I would hate it more than I do. There are some things that are really nice, and some things that are really frustrating. Sometimes I feel if we had the staff and they stopped cutting head and investing in "tech" that is worthless for us, it would be a really nice place to work. But the firms seem to make it so hard on themsevles.
    4. I thought I'd definitely want to quit after 1 yr as manager because of the workload. Now I'm on the fence and feel like I need to figure out what I want to do...I think I could make it to the long haul for partner, but ironically what gets me is the direction my firm is going. It feels like we are sacrificing quality for cost cutting and headcount, and It feels like the boomers are just cutting heads and the bottom line for their pension multiples before they retire, and "investing" in tech and outsourcing more than ever. Sometimes I find shit REALLY swept under the rug...and I wonder if it's all going to implode. The thought of staying for 10-20 years and watching it implode while being complicit in the tanking quality seems to just feel good anymore.
    5. I think it was worth it to stay. Though I feel more confused than ever if I should stick around after 6 more months. I guess that never changes.
    submitted by /u/Acoconutting
    [link] [comments]

    When the Senior/Manager gives you a "Learning Opportunity"

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 06:47 PM PDT

    Determining your worth as a staff 1

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 06:42 AM PDT

    Have you ever felt that your team determines how good a of a staff you are by how large of a coffee order you can carry by yourself

    submitted by /u/adsbort
    [link] [comments]

    What is the work culture like in Audit?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 04:42 PM PDT

    Just accepted an offer for an entry level position after graduation. It's as an audit associate, so what is the year usually like for newbies?

    submitted by /u/PeterLongProng
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good salary?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 06:27 PM PDT

    Hello fellow redditters.

    Canadian person here.

    Need suggestions.

    Soon to be a CPA. 7 years experience

    Offered $80K plus benefits. Is this a good salary?

    Where in the pay scale are people at? What are some senior accountants etc making here?

    submitted by /u/Throwawayflic
    [link] [comments]

    NC Corporate E-Filing Issues in OneSource Income Tax?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 04:00 PM PDT

    This is a stretch, but has anyone had issues with the CD 405? We just realized it got rejected. Sch B and Sch G are not pulling data through but we can see the data in the tax forms view. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if it's work me calling them or just paper filing 😅

    submitted by /u/noodles_mom
    [link] [comments]

    Company’s who keep unqualified employees in accounting positions lose good qualified employees

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 10:36 AM PDT

    I work at a tech start up. I was hired as Staff Accountant, but have been doing AR work for over 6 months. My counterpart has a liberal arts degree and never finishes her work, so it gets pushed on to me last minute. I have my CMA and 5 years experience, I'm hopeful that I can move on from generating invoices and doing data update projects.

    submitted by /u/dontcallmehickey
    [link] [comments]

    Filing your tax return at your workplace

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 09:38 PM PDT

    I was wondering for you guys who work in an accounting firm. Does your boss allow you to file your tax return in the firm for free? Maybe on your off the clock hours or lunch or whatever but letting you use his tax software.

    I work in a small accounting firm of about 8 accountants and I was wondering if I should ask that to my boss when it is time to file tax return. It seems kind of stupid to go pay another accountant to do it while I can do it myself I just dont have the software.

    My accounting firm is mostly for wealthy clients and fees are high so I dont know if it would be a reasonable question to ask to my boss.

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/oscarjuarez99
    [link] [comments]

    I feel seriously under prepared for my first job. Is there anything I need to know or study?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 08:58 PM PDT

    I'm about to start my first job out of college as a tax associate at a midsize national firm. I haven't even started studying for my cpa yet. Is there anything I need to brush up on before I start?

    submitted by /u/ump13
    [link] [comments]

    Could I become a Bookkeeper and Accountant?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 08:54 PM PDT

    Hello. I'm 30 years old guy live in Vancouver, Canada.

    I'm a immigrant so my first language is NOT ENGLISH.

    I graduated high school in 2010.

    I want to have a bookkeeping job and then become an accountant.

    However I don't know how, and if I could success.

    What should I do first to become a bookkeeper?

    I have no idea what to study first. Should I study Accounting 10 for grade 10 students?

    To be honest, I'm not good at English, and I've tried to study Accounting 10 at night school in 2012, but I quit in 2 days because terms and words were too difficult for me.

    Therefore, I'm afraid even if I study Accounting, I might fail and it would be waste of time.

    Is it possible for me to become a bookkeeper or accountant?

    submitted by /u/lazynomore52
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment