• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 2, 2019

    Why am I a salesperson? Sales and Selling

    Why am I a salesperson? Sales and Selling


    Why am I a salesperson?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 07:15 AM PDT

    I am in B2B IT Sales and have been for 12 years.

    I came to selling late in my career; I'm now 54.

    I've been in IT for nearly 25 years.

    The conclusion I'm coming to is that my "why" is to generate gross margin for the company I work for, while fulfilling needs of customers and being honest and direct.

    But is that it? Is that all there is? Deal making?

    Maybe that's all there is an I just need to make peace with it.

    At any rate, seems like a good question to ask myself.

    I am interested in how others answer this question.

    submitted by /u/look4buster
    [link] [comments]

    Well, I feel like an asshole.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 06:39 PM PDT

    I just shut down a d2d guy pretty hard. I feel like 8:30 is a little late to be knocking on doors and dude came off kinda pushy. I usually try to be cool as a professional courtesy, but I guess I just had a bad reaction.

    So yeah, I betrayed my profession and shut the door on a guy. I don't feel great about it.

    submitted by /u/kylew1985
    [link] [comments]

    Wanting to leave sales, what roles to apply for?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 09:03 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I've been in sales for seven years, often getting into the office before anyone else and sometimes leaving at 930 at night. I've been very successful, making President's Club last year but then was laid off due to a few bad months a couple months ago.

    I look back at the "What have you done for me lately" stuff and I really want to work hard but not have my valued tied just to my last sale and spend my weekends obsessing over my forecast, I need a job I can switch off from outside of work hours.

    Any suggestions?

    EDIT: Not looking for more sales jobs, looking for other roles like Marketing, Customer Success, etc. that I haven't perhaps thought of that my skills can translate into well where I can actually get a good night's sleep at the end of a quarter.

    submitted by /u/DiligentOrdinary
    [link] [comments]

    I think I'm actually in toxic culture hell right now, and its hard to admit because I love my direct boss and product. Not sure what to do.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 09:46 AM PDT

    I genuinely love the product, and my direct manager is a great mentor, coach, and friend. However, I am likely going to leave soon because of the following culture issues:

    1, Expected to put in extra hours - only to save face. For example - my entire sales team slack group got a picture from our VP at 8 at night of the two poor interns sitting at their desks while no one else was in there. It was like 4 minutes after I left, and it was such a stupid pointless jab. Really soured my mood because I really was grinding up until that point. A ton of people (engineers mostly, also sales folks that are chugging kool-aid) go to team breakfast on Saturday, and work holidays, late nights 24/7 etc.

    2, The CEO is a legitimate lunatic. He curses people out in person, yells, marches around like a caricature of a tech CEO, and is generally just a bully. Really weird guy. He measures employees by "vectors" and everyone has a score to see if they are working in the right direction for the company. "red, green, or grey vectors". Super weird.

    3, Very unusual one here, but it affects my happiness I had to call out a woman (I'm a guy) who was consistently touching me and making inappropriate sexual comments amount me. I was really uncomfortable reaching out to HR about it (head of HR is a senior leaders daughter, and is brash and 'scary'). I had to tell this woman specifically to not touch my hair and that she was making me uncomfortable with the handsy-ness. Never had to do that before once in my entire career!

    There is another woman on my team who brought me a balloon for my bday last week, regularly slacks me on the weekend about personal problems (and all day, really) is always commenting on my looks, and generally creeps me out. She trusts me as her pseudo "mentor" and told me she had this other coworker at a past job who she "loved" and they "almost made it" and "everyone knew we were a couple" and then recently revealed to me that he ended up filing a sexual harassment claim against her after a late night creepy slack. I think she may pull something similar to me. Not really a company issue - but it sucks.

    4, We actually had a slide at our company meeting today that said: "drink the koolaid". Come on.

    5, Comp plan change and our product doubled in price - half my pipeline was nuked. made twice as much $ at my old sales jobs. I want to buy my GF a ring and saving for it has been nearly impossible.

    I took a base cut here because I was sold on the idea of "the rocketship". We are growing, and the company is "good" but this shit is driving me nuts. Am i insane? What should I do?

    submitted by /u/amilmore
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone who sold or sells for ADT doing D2D, what were top performers making?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 10:46 AM PDT

    I'm interested in working with ADT and was wondering what top performers are making since I plan on being one. Anyone here know?

    submitted by /u/Cplus44
    [link] [comments]

    Cold calling and photography

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 08:23 AM PDT

    Hey all. I'm building a script to use for selling photography prints to businesses in my area and I'm getting stuck on what to say when I get to the reason why I'm calling. Naturally I can't say I want to sell you photos as that would be the end of the call. If I was selling a service it would be a little easier to talk about how I have something that would help them, but I'm drawing a blank on what words to use to describe what I'm doing so that I can push for an in person meeting.

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/QuantumGolem
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get into sales?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 09:36 AM PDT

    So I am 17 right now, will be finish high school next year and am planning to do a year abroad after school. Then I'd like to start a sales carrier but don't know really where to start. Do I need a college degree or smth. like that? Or should I just start some random education? And yeah I am from Germany

    submitted by /u/helkox
    [link] [comments]

    Are all Sales Jobs Micromanaged / High Turnover

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 09:01 AM PDT

    I was previously in a recruiting position for part time jobs that had a very low commission structure and long onboarding process for these hired people.

    People were getting fired left and right and I was being Micromanaged and I hated being micromanaged.

    My greatest goal would be a successful sales person because of the potential. I am currently an inside Sales Account Coordinator and there is no commission but I do sell to the accounts I have.

    My question is - are all sales position as heavily micromanaged and with such high turnover?

    I would probably take a salary pay decrease, once ready to jump back into a commission job, but that okay. I need to have this potential for my future.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/dailymomentum
    [link] [comments]

    What is the most "out there" response to a cold call you have ever gotten?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 08:46 AM PDT

    Possible to Cold Email Internationally

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 08:10 AM PDT

    I wanted to know if it would be legal and possible to cold email in other countries besides the USA.?

    Is it legal and possible to cold email in Canada, UK, Europe, Australia?

    submitted by /u/rojo1986
    [link] [comments]

    Next steps when you don't get the sale?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 08:07 AM PDT

    Noob ?: What do you do when the proposal is rejected by the prospect? They liked it but went with another provider.

    Do you ask for feedback on the proposal or why they went with someone else?

    submitted by /u/focusedphil
    [link] [comments]

    Prospects keep evaluating

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 05:45 AM PDT

    I work in B2B and plenty of prospects keep saying they are evaluating the benefits of the product I presented to them and will contact me in case of need.

    Weeks/Months are passing and every time I send them an email to see what's the status of their decision, nothing new pops up. Still evaluating.

    Can you advise me how to follow-up in those cases?

    submitted by /u/bananarama23a
    [link] [comments]

    Need help in acquire domain knowledge to Ace an interview

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 07:44 AM PDT

    Hi Guys, I'm a Civil Engineer but started in Sales 19 months ago. It's an Education technology company where I'm into B2C selling, Where all my clients are parents. I'm planning to shift to a Software firm that provide service to firms. What knowledge should I gain so that I can compensate not having a Computer Science degree.

    Immediate guidance required.

    submitted by /u/sahil_nanda18
    [link] [comments]

    Tech Qualled Sales Academy for Transitioning Military?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 05:28 AM PDT

    Has anyone applied or completed this program? It appears to be a training program/recruiting firm that assists transitioning military in breaking into B2B Tech/SaaS sales.

    I'm an Army Officer and a sales career is something that's appealing to me in terms of both culture, lifestyle, and earnings. There are already plenty of headhunters that place transitioning Military Officers into Med Device or Pharma sales, but tech/SaaS is more interesting to me. Any advice would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/pks1850BD
    [link] [comments]

    Cold Calling is Still a Sales Tool

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 11:20 AM PDT

    Cold Calling is a craft that you will need a positive & upbeat attitude towards every step of the way. Some people can read qualities through your voice so "Smiling and Dialing" will help you with this journey. Over the years a lot of people state that "Cold Calling is dead" when in reality it's more so "Cold Calling is no longer the number one prospecting tool". IT Professionals have more resources then ever before so meeting with salespeople to learn about new technologies and/or trends is becoming less common. Be that as it may, cold calling is still a great tool to generate leads and brand awareness.

    In general, people like to do business with people they "like" so finding a personal connection or common interest will give you a step up in setting a meeting. Every buyer or influencer has different personalities and objectives but every first (sometimes 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) conversation they will think "I'm good with my partners", "We do everything in-house", and/or "I don't know you so I don't trust you". Always have a response ready for rejections, there is no "This will work!" answer to rejections so you will have to learn what works best for you.

    Here are a few examples:

    · "I'm good with my partners" – Answer: I completely understand and respect your loyalty. If you don't mind me asking, who is your go-to partner for cloud computing? (At least you know your competition and can carve your next conversation around a specific service/offering that company cannot offer.)

    · "We do everything in-house" – Answer: It sounds like they have you wearing a dozen hats over there. As I'm sure you've seen public cloud is growing drastically and nearly every executive team is asking their IT department "what are we doing in the cloud?". What's your executive teams stance on the Cloud?

    · "I don't know you so I don't trust you" – Answer: I completely understand and hope for the opportunity to show you why our customer retention is the highest in the area. Typically, by the end of a first meeting we will be able to determine if we can bring value to your business, and if not, we'll be honest and won't pester you after that – how does next X and Y time work for you?

    Approaches:

    · "I'm new in the industry" – I used this when I started out and typically good people like to help other good people. Showing your drive to help others and asking for their advice on becoming a successful IT professional – most people love to give their opinions! One line I like to use if they won't take a meeting: "I'm always looking to connect and network with successful IT professionals like yourself so would be okay if a periodically touch base with you?"

    · "Experience" – Find a way to verbalize the company's success in your own words. Dropping big company names can help but showcasing your experience along with how you are different from others will put you in position to continue the discussion.

    · "Promotion" – Every human loves a good deal. The word FREE is not a great word to use with people you don't know as they may think "nothing is free". So, instead of a Free Assessment you can say "For new customers we are offering a Cloud Assessment that's valued at $2,500 at no cost".

    · "Industry Specific" – Many companies like to work with partners that know their industry so showcasing your knowledge on their industry can give you a step up in the conversation. For example, stating our success within a specific industry and a topic/struggle they can relate to can give them enough trust to at least take their guard down and open-up about their IT road map.

    · "Similar Connection" – the best cold call is a warm call. Finding a mutual connection can help prospects take their guard down.

    As long as you have persistence, tenacity, hard work, and a positive attitude throughout the process you will put yourself in the position to succeed. There will be days where no one answers and days that people will talk down to you, but instead of letting those actions take you down you need to figure out how you can convert them into motivation.

    Always remember that salespeople are misunderstood by MANY people because people tend to tie all salespeople to a poor experience they've had with a "slimey salesman". Sales is one of the highest paid professions in the world. If you ever feel intimidated by big titles or egos just remember that at the end of the day, they put their pants on the same way that you do.

    submitted by /u/SamsonFitz
    [link] [comments]

    Reps experienced with Challenger, need advice please?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 11:01 AM PDT

    Hi there, I have an upcoming final interview for a SaaS (B2B) outside role. I'm in SaaS now as I have been for the last two years and have about 8 years outside b2b experience. I'm actually doing well at my current role but very bored and originally took the recruiters call just to keep my skills sharp. I'm actually now very interested in the role and pretty sure I'll take it, if the financial package ends up where I want it to. They are flying me out end of next week and of course, they want me to do 20 min presentation. They all want this these days as far as I can tell. I know that they are big on Challenger and while many different companies I've worked for ascribed to some kind of sales training or guru, I actually am not trained in Challenger. I'd like to incorporate the Challenger methodology into my presentation which is essentially a role play where I assign roles to the interviewers and do a 20 min power point presentation. This presentation can be any stage of the sales process (first meeting, follow up meeting, close) and a real or fictional product. Any help or advice as to how to present the challenger way would be great. Please no general advice like don't read off the slide or anything like that as I'm fairly experienced seller who earns in the $200k range.

    tldr: need help using Challenger sales training to create a 20 mins sales presentation for interview purposes.

    submitted by /u/dannyluxNstuff
    [link] [comments]

    Do you have a diploma ?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 02:49 AM PDT

    Salesman of r/sales who sell things. Do you have a college diploma ? If yes, did it help you in your carreer and do you think it was worth it ? If no, do you think a diploma would've made things easier ?

    submitted by /u/CarbideX
    [link] [comments]

    NEED HELP - Tasked to respond to 3 exercises for round 3 of a sales interview.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 10:16 AM PDT

    I'm in round three of four through the interview process and have been tasked with responding to three exercises as this role is primarily over email.

    I need help as I've never had to formulate responses like this and have not been in a role where exercises 1 & 2 are relevant. Please help!

    Exercise 1: You are customer support representative at Lumberjacks Inc, a company that sells a monthly software subscription service. You offer two plans, a monthly plan billed at $20/month per user and an annual plan billed at $200/year per user. Users have to click to agree to the terms of service before activating the software. One of your customers, Ricky Bobby, has sent you a note asking if he can switch from an annual plan to a monthly plan and for you to sign a contract with his legal department.

    Please write an email to Ricky with your response. Assume that there is no explicit policy in place for this and that you cannot offer a call in your response.

    Exercise 2: You are the chairman of the board at InsightSquared. Your CEO, Fred Shilmover, has decided to step down and move to Indonesia to pursue surfing full time. You have been tasked with leading the search committee for a new CEO.

    Using LinkedIn, please identify 5 potential candidates for the job. No more than 3 should be sitting CEO's. No more than one should currently be employed at Insight Squared. For each prospective candidate, please write 2 to 3 sentences as to why you think they could be a good fit for the role and why they would be motivated to take the job.

    Write an email to the (external) candidate you think would be the best fit persuading them to talk to you about the role.

    Exercise 3: (I can handle this but would love to hear advice)

    You are an AE at Skillz That Killz Inc, a company that sells a monthly software subscription service. Skillz That Killz's product provides analytics and performance insights for sports teams. Skillz's technology uses machine learning to crunch through huge data sets of sports statistics to surface insights on athletes all over the world. You have been assigned to the Team Handball division.

    Typically, your buyer is the team General Manager. GM's are responsible for building their team roster. They scout out new talent and set compensation for their current team. They are also responsible for hiring and firing all players and coaching staff. Additionally, they have a hand in setting overall game strategy (but not tactics) with the coaches they hire.

    Most of the coaches and GM's in the Team Handball world have little to no experience working with complex data analytics tools and will need guidance to understand the value of the software.

    Handball legend Patches O'Houlihan has recently taken the reigns at the Average Joe's, an underperforming but high potential Team Handball club. Patches wrote in requesting more information about Skillz That Killz.

    Please come up with an outline for your initial call with Patches.

    Any and all help would be welcomed, please!

    submitted by /u/SF100789
    [link] [comments]

    July Strategy

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 08:49 AM PDT

    I have unlimited qualified lead flow. I have a commoditized product meaning tons of shoppers and rejection. I work 12 hours a day. My sales cycle is 3 days to 2 weeks depending on my client. I'll get promoted and 20k this month in commission if I 200% goal. Phone Sales.

    What would you guys suggest I do to ensure my promo target?

    submitted by /u/789521456852
    [link] [comments]

    How would one transition from sales to marketing?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 01:39 PM PDT

    I've been in sales about a year now, I'm starting to realize my passion is really in marketing and copywriting. I also want to one day be able to go remote or mostly remote. What steps do I need to take in order for that to happen? Work ethic is really not a problem for me lol I kinda just don't like feeling like a nuisance when I cold call.

    submitted by /u/IAmMySon
    [link] [comments]

    Zip code boundary map!!

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 07:51 AM PDT

    Help! I've been looking for a zip code boundary map for my territories and can only find a singular map. I have over 40 zips. Any ideas how to map them? Preferably without paying a fee...

    submitted by /u/thilexipi
    [link] [comments]

    D2D reps how much do you make if you don’t mind me asking?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 10:00 PM PDT

    I would like to get my foot in the door for sales. But want to know what I can realistically expect to make because I see HVAC D2D ads on indeed that promises $300k+. The other reason is cause I'm just curious what D2D reps here are making lol. What are you guys earning?

    submitted by /u/castlev55
    [link] [comments]

    Did I waste my time and money going to college?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 11:00 PM PDT

    Why is it so difficult to find a sales job with a base salary? I don't mind having a commission-based job, but I think it's important to give employees a base salary so that they feel valued and last longer, especially college grads.

    I want to become a junior financial analyst, but it's very competitive out there, so I don't know if I should just give up and have one of these sales jobs that would make me feel worthless. Sorry if this sounded condescending for those who love sales, but I don't even know if any of these sales jobs are good because they all have bad reviews and high turnover.

    submitted by /u/hyjsyks
    [link] [comments]

    Doing door to door without a car worth it? Also any D2D jobs that are year round?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:57 PM PDT

    I'm in Ontario (Toronto) and many door to door jobs I see are Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Is it even worth doing door to door without a car? I have my full license but no car. I was thinking taking a door to door job working my ass off and buying one since some I've seen are lucrative with companies that have positive reviews.

    Should I just suck it up for two months and just do it by bus? I have sales experience with inside sales and hit quota all the time selling $1000-$10,000 consumer proposals to people in debt so I doubt it will be me not making any money selling $200 products or services to people who can actually afford it. I have a good foundation with selling on the phone I doubt it will be completely different face to face.

    Also for those wondering why I'm going door to door it's because I lost my other sales job on bad terms (not getting paid commission on time which lead to an argument with VP and ended with me telling VP to eat a dick and fuck off) so as you can imagine I've tried applying to other sales jobs for two years with no luck since they always want to call my old company and now I can't have that sales job on my resume any more so I need to start fresh and door to door seems pretty lucrative as well, maybe something I'll do for a few years.

    Also any D2D jobs that are year round? I was thinking HVAC but selling that D2D is banned in Toronto now although I could do it in the GTA anything else?

    submitted by /u/Cplus44
    [link] [comments]

    Dealing with an unreasonable customer

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:03 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I need help with figuring out how to approach a situation with a customer.

    I work at a 3PL and have been working my ass off for a carrier that is kind of a big deal. They have over 3000 trucks, so when I landed them as my customer I was very excited.

    They put us on a 7 day payment limit (we had to pay them in seven days, no exceptions) which already was nearly impossible.

    I didn't realize that they forgot a signature on a form they gave us, so the 7 day payment was never possible, but they didn't let me know until they decided to charge us hundreds of extra dollars for being "late." Again, it is nearly impossible to pay in seven days. We are a very large 3PL and the industry norm is 30 days for payment. Our record boasts a fast 25 day average, but I pulled some strings and got the 7 day payment plan set up. After getting them to sign the form they were originally supposed to sign, I got the payments back on track and they understood it was both of our mistakes and withdrew their extra charges.

    Now, after I spent a month bouncing around accounting and meeting with upper level management to get the 7 day payments set up. They are refusing to work with me because I can't pay extra fees that they tack on after the sale of a load. The main issue is that they charge $60 per hour for detention. Detention occurs after 2 hours has passed and a truck driver is still being loaded or unloaded. The industry standard is $35 per hour and a lot of companies only pay $25 per hour. I have been getting them $40-$50 per hour because it's the absolute best that I can do.

    Now, they won't book with me and their reps that I work with are being told not to work with me. The detention issue was never an issue in the past, but now that I've got everything they needed paid for, they are trying to bleed me dry with extra fees. I can't afford $60 per hour (nearly double the industry STANDARD).

    I might need to explain more but that's the gist of it. I have already sent their accounting manager countless articles and records showing that we are a great company and pay on time and shouldn't be on this ridiculous 7 day payment set up (honestly, a scheme designed to get us to have to pay more money imho).

    Should I contact someone at the company that is higher up in their accounting? Should I just give up on the account? We did over $80K in business when I was working with them a lot. I think it has something to do with the end of the quarter coming up, but I just feel like a doormat because of the way they are giving me ultimatums like "pay this ridiculous fee or you can't work with us" or "pay at a speed that literally isn't possible to the normal company." It feels bad since I did so much for them and they still don't seem to care about any of it.

    What should I do?

    submitted by /u/devdog323
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment