• Breaking News

    Friday, July 5, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion & Fundamentals Friday Jul 05, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion & Fundamentals Friday Jul 05, 2019


    r/Stocks Daily Discussion & Fundamentals Friday Jul 05, 2019

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 01:07 AM PDT

    This is the daily discussion, so anything stocks related is fine, but the theme for today is on fundamentals, but if fundamentals aren't your thing then just ignore the theme and/or post your arguments against fundamentals here and not in the current post.

    Some helpful day to day links, including news:


    Most fundamentals are updated every 3 months due to the fact that corporations release earnings reports every quarter, so traders are always speculating at what those earnings will say, and investors may change the size of their holdings based on those reports. Expect a lot of volatility around earnings, but it usually doesn't matter if you're holding long term, but keep in mind the importance of earnings reports because a trend of declining earnings or a decline in some other fundamental will drive the stock down over the long term as well.

    See the following word cloud and click through for the wiki:

    Market Cap - Shares Outstanding - Volume - Dividend - EPS - P/E Ratio - EPS Q/Q - PEG - Sales Q/Q - Return on Assets (ROA) - Return on Equity (ROE) - BETA - SMA - quarterly earnings

    If you have a basic question, for example "what is EBITDA," then google "investopedia EBITDA" and click the Investopedia article on it; do this for everything until you have a more in depth question or just want to share what you learned.

    Useful links:

    See our past daily discussions here. Also links for: Technicals Tuesday, Options Trading Thursday, and Fundamentals Friday.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    PSA for new investors: Following people on Twitter isn’t DD.

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 08:26 AM PDT

    Putting this out there because I'm seeing a lot of kids losing money by making a fundamentally bad decision.

    New to investing? Looking for a way to swing your way to a handsome 100% gain? After a little searching, you discover penny bio stocks! You hear stories about 300% runs over three days, reverse splits making runs to the moon - it's almost too good to be true. Rather than looking into the hundreds/thousands of companies, you yearn for a shortcut.

    Enter: Twitter.

    Multiple Twitter users all claiming the same thing. TRIL will moon! Buy $KOOL for an easy 50%. AMRH/ARCI/ARCW have news coming, accumulate fast! $SEEL way undervalued - a steal at this price! Who are these dudes? Who knows, their account names are pop culture alerts. But their last tweet said they had HUGE gainzzzz.

    You immediately put those stocks on your radar, and watch it jump. It may immediately fly 10-15%! So FOMO kicks in, and you make the jump. After all, it's going to move quick so get on it! Just wait for that sweet ATH after close!

    "Great," you think. "I'll wake up to that Lambo."

    The next morning, the alerts start at market bell. $smallbioX down 40%. 70%. You just got smacked. But you're not alone, right? Those Twitter guys share your misery, right?

    No. No, those Twitter guys are pumping and dumping on you and the other novice investors like you. These aren't charitable day traders out to make everyone rich - they're out there to manufacture endless bagholders, looking for that sweet shortcut to wealth.

    That shortcut doesn't exist. If you're putting your financial well-being on the line by following anonymous strangers with tv/movie character usernames- you're setting yourself up for failure each and every time.

    Don't.

    TL;DR: buying based on anonymous twitter users is a surefire way to lose your money. Don't fall into the trap.

    submitted by /u/HamburgerJames
    [link] [comments]

    Shares over sallary?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 02:53 AM PDT

    Hey folks,

    Just received a job offer at an UK challenger bank and got offered one of the following 3 packs.

    1. 22,7k per year (£11 per hour) + 300 shares (£3900)

    2. 20,5k per year (£10 per hour) + 1000 shares (£13k)

    3. 18,2k per year (£9 per hour) + 1690 shares (£22k)

    I'll be a final year student from September, have no mortgage to pay (😁), have no interest in buying glamorous stuff or throw my income into expensive hotels and probably my parents will help me with the accomodation costs (300£ out of 600£). Therefore, there won't be much of a difference between 9£ or 11£ per hour to me, as I'll still continue to be poor 😂

    I'm trying to decide between the second and the third option, however I'm open to any suggestion and piece of advice. I'm completely aware that shares could go down as things go wrong.

    I consider myself a risk-taking person and that's why my main option at the moment would be the third one (plus that, who gets the medium menu at McD, we all know it's a rip off, it's either the small or the large one). However, I'm again aware that things might not work the same in this situation.

    I'm asking you, amazing people of reddit, for some help in taking this decission!

    Thanks a lot!

    submitted by /u/makyflow
    [link] [comments]

    Ever make you kinda sad to sell a stock that's run its course?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 10:42 AM PDT

    After a good run off a week and a half or so, some of my stocks that I've enjoyed watching run have hit their sell points for me today. I've found that I've become a little emotionally attached to them and will miss seeing them in my portfolio on a daily basis.

    Anyone else find that a stock takes on a life of its own in your mind, much like a pet or whatnot?

    submitted by /u/TheBiss
    [link] [comments]

    Issues with MSFT

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 09:22 AM PDT

    What are some problems with Microsoft. I've been looking to buy and I'm trying to find problems with it. What are some downsides to the company, cuz everywhere I read it's almost always positive.

    submitted by /u/phillswift98
    [link] [comments]

    question when the stock you own goes under

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 02:27 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    3 years ago when I started dabbling in the stock market I bought a penny stock named Lighting Ventures, or C.LVI on the Canadian securities exchanges. I was an amateur and foolishly and did not do DD and now I live with the consequences of this purchase.

    Anyways, 12 months ago they got halted and its been about a year and I moved on and forgot about it. I think they must be bankrupt because the company has vanished and no news, PR, replies, or anything.

    But I am wonder how will I ever know if the money is lost permanently or accessible again? My TD apps show it in my holdings but under a different ticker name now, C.HMK.

    Any insight or similar experiences?

    submitted by /u/Aomike
    [link] [comments]

    Lump Sum Investing vs. Dollar Cost Averaging.

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 01:40 PM PDT

    I recently rolled an old 401k from my last job into a self directed IRA.

    My plan is to put all my money into a low cost ETF that mimics the S&P500 like VOO or SPY etc.

    My buddy who considers himself a seasoned day trader (he does alright but it isn't like he's a fucking wizard) says I need to dollar cost average my investment into this ETF and buy chunks, like 20% of my capital at a time, and wait until the market dips to do so. Because only a damned fool would invest right now when the S&P is at all time highs.

    I looked into this ideology and I found several studies showing that LSI beats DCA 2/3 of the time. Not to mention I dont know shit about it and would be nervous as fuck trying to sort out when to buy and when to wait etc..

    His main thing is he thinks the S&P is due for 10%+ correction in the next quarter and wants me to avoid having my nuts kicked right off the bat. But I keep seeing articles about how the most likley thing the S&P is gonna do in the next few months is a wild bull run. So who the fuck knows?

    Is my friend right or wrong? Should I just throw my shit in there and wait 35 years as is the plan? Or wait a while for the next market correction/crash.

    submitted by /u/TheChadAmerican
    [link] [comments]

    Question on leverage trading

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 12:35 PM PDT

    If I'm shorting a stock using leverage trading and my goal is for the stock is a decrease of 20%. Do I profit more if I profits my gains -10% and then instantly short again (for the last 10%) but this with more value?

    I know this is poorly explained but I'm not familiar with all the terms yet, so hopefully it will make sense for someone out there :)

    submitted by /u/BiteOfLife
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to consolidate all holdings into a single “index” and graph a portfolio as a single line?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 08:11 PM PDT

    I'm trying to compare the performance of my portfolio to the S&P 500 over time and the closest thing I can get to this is on the Personal Capital app. Is there an easy way to do this?

    submitted by /u/VitaminClean
    [link] [comments]

    Municipal Bond ETFs / Fed Interest Rate Cut

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 08:37 AM PDT

    Quick question - I'm looking to move some money from my Ally savings account into a Tax Free Municipal Bond ETF (VTEB / MUB) for example. How will these ETFs be affected if the Fed cuts rates? Would this be a bad time to make this move considering that this is a likely scenario? What would happen on down the road if rates are raised? I just want to know what I'm in for as the ally account is a guaranteed (essentially) 2.15%.

    submitted by /u/pnwjbird
    [link] [comments]

    Most Anticipated Earnings Releases for the week beginning July 8th, 2019

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 12:03 PM PDT

    Apologies to all if I am a little late to getting this thread up in here today...just returned from my 4th of July trip.

    Also, I know this is not a very exciting week for ERs, but no worries, things will begin picking up quick significantly in the weeks to come. :P


    Here are the most notable earnings releases for the trading week beginning July 8th, 2019.


    Below are some of the notable companies coming out with earnings releases this upcoming trading week ahead which includes the date/time of release & consensus estimates courtesy of Earnings Whispers:


    Monday 7.8.19 Before Market Open:

    (CLICK HERE FOR MONDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!)

    Monday 7.8.19 After Market Close:

    ([CLICK HERE FOR MONDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!]())

    NONE.


    Tuesday 7.9.19 Before Market Open:

    (CLICK HERE FOR TUESDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!)

    Tuesday 7.9.19 After Market Close:

    (CLICK HERE FOR TUESDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!)

    Wednesday 7.10.19 Before Market Open:

    (CLICK HERE FOR WEDNESDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!)

    Wednesday 7.10.19 After Market Close:

    (CLICK HERE FOR WEDNESDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!)

    Thursday 7.11.19 Before Market Open:

    (CLICK HERE FOR THURSDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!)

    Thursday 7.11.19 After Market Close:

    ([CLICK HERE FOR THURSDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!]())

    NONE.


    Friday 7.12.19 Before Market Open:

    (CLICK HERE FOR FRIDAY'S PRE-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!)

    Friday 7.12.19 After Market Close:

    ([CLICK HERE FOR FRIDAY'S AFTER-MARKET EARNINGS TIME & ESTIMATES!]())

    NONE.


    Have a great weekend r/stocks.

    submitted by /u/bigbear0083
    [link] [comments]

    Google sheets: API to pull other fundamental data to a sheet other than with googlefinance()

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:47 AM PDT

    I'm building a stock screener in google sheets and have exhausted the googlefinance from what I need. There are a lot of KPIs that can't be found through googlefinance, but found elsewhere like yahoo finance, Morningstar etc.

    Is there any api that works with google sheets for this purpose?

    Free solutions are preferred, but paid also works. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/rwiman
    [link] [comments]

    Zero % Interest Rates

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 11:28 AM PDT

    Although nothing in life is certain, reading the tea leaves shows that the US is drifting back into lowering rates as low as they need to go.

    How are you guys and gals preparing for this? What sort of strategy are you implementing? Specific stocks?

    Thanks !

    submitted by /u/vantmas
    [link] [comments]

    Retirement: Mutual Funds or ETFs?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:15 AM PDT

    Wanting to set up a individual brokerage account and set up a weekly routine to buy etfs or mutual funds for long term savings (retirement).

    What would y'all say is the best long term investment between these two?

    submitted by /u/MandolorianWookie89
    [link] [comments]

    9 challenges Amazon faces on its 25th birthday

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 04:57 AM PDT

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/04/business/amazon-25th-birthday-challenges-trnd/index.html

    New York(CNN Business) As Amazon marks its 25th year, the groundbreaking company is dealing with a host of controversy and problems. High-powered officials are challenging its size and calling for it to be broken up. Politicians are raising questions about its worker pay. And Amazon faces growing competition from rivals. The Seattle-based company, whose dominance now reaches around the world, could be facing a quarter-life crisis.

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    Who do you use for your trading?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 10:00 AM PDT

    Okay, so I'm pretty new to investing with stocks. I've been using TD Ameritrade for the past year, just wondering if there's a better service provider that I'm not aware of. TIA

    submitted by /u/vZAPP
    [link] [comments]

    SNAP Stonk

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 09:46 AM PDT

    Anyone else seeing this snapchat stock rise? Pretty crazy. What're your thoughts on it?? Do you think it'll keep growing or crash?

    submitted by /u/MrrInferno
    [link] [comments]

    Make money investing on Space Exploration ?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 09:41 AM PDT

    I'm pretty sure life in other planets exist.

    I think the space exploration, either from NASA (science and discoveries) point of view or military (US, Russia, China etc) represents a clear scenario where things are going. So my thinking is investing in stocks of companies directly related to the space exploration. With my zero knowledge about investing, I would think Boeing, Ball, Lockheed, Raytheon, Virgin or who knows.? Please enlighten me if my thinking is wrong.

    submitted by /u/andbuks
    [link] [comments]

    Jeez...how does this keep happening?!

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 11:34 PM PDT

    Best India ETF?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    Looking to invest in India's future with their political and economic changes that are happening. Money for the Rest of Us recently did an episode highlighting why and how India could be the next China in terms of economic growth, and I'd like to get into an ETF like INDY, but want to know others opinions on it.

    What India ETF would be the best to hold for the foreseeable future?

    submitted by /u/AiCPearlJam
    [link] [comments]

    Should I switch stocks? SHLX or V

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 08:25 PM PDT

    Currently, I have 130 shares of SHLX. I'm thinking of selling and using the money from those shares to invest in V.

    The main logic behind this switch is the V consistent track record and the fear of SHLX dropping. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Justsayingthetruthyo
    [link] [comments]

    Stock going to 0

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 11:25 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm new to stocks and investing I've previously naught two shares of ATTU aka attunity for around $23 each but I just checked my Ameritrade account and it says zero on it and -100% gain does anyone know what this means. Did they go bankrupt?

    submitted by /u/Aweis206
    [link] [comments]

    Excited about NIO today!

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 10:03 PM PDT

    I have some long position to keep, and some calls to make money on the swing. This was a terrible, amazing stock to learn options on!

    submitted by /u/zeddknite
    [link] [comments]

    $ETST launching new product line/division next week, according to company email to shareholder.

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 06:36 AM PDT

    I am going to try to load $ETST today. They are talking about it in the $ACB discord and Telegram room (JBP).

    ".....yes, next week is the launch of our newest line of products, so that will be our next update to shareholders. We are about a month away from putting in place our independent board for uplisting to a international exchange, which is why we are retaining a independent board"

    submitted by /u/ben_Stocks
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment