• Breaking News

    Friday, July 5, 2019

    Grad School is done with ~80K in student loans, refinancing advice will be much appreciated Student Loans

    Grad School is done with ~80K in student loans, refinancing advice will be much appreciated Student Loans


    Grad School is done with ~80K in student loans, refinancing advice will be much appreciated

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 09:14 AM PDT

    First of all, thank you for reading this. I've been looking into refinancing and despite the overwhelming amount of advice couldn't figure it all out on my own so decided to ask the experts.

    Basic details:

    • I'm 25 years old and just finished my Master's in Athletic Training
    • My monthly income after taxes is $3200, this is my first month on my new job @ a Public University
    • Currently the I have an extra $1000 coming in from a different teaching position
    • I plan to pay $1200 monthly towards my loans
    • I have an excellent credit score ~760
    • My mom cosigned the loans
    • My income will not change for the next 2 years

    All my private loans are through Discover for $63,340. Details about my private loans:

    • One account balance is $52,640 and has these consolidated loans that have payment deferred until May 2020:
      • $22,000 @ interest rate of 5.490% fixed , deferred interest balance of $560
      • $14,000 @ interest rate of 5.240% variable, deferred interest balance of $197
      • $16,640 @ interest rate of 5.115% variable, deferred interest balance of $385
    • Second account amount balance is $10,700 @ interest rate of 4.740% variable, minimum payment due of $25, deferred interest balance of $63, principal $292, interest $757

    Federal loan is $20,000 @ interest rate of 3.4%, it's been deferred till July 2020.

    Questions:

    • Is variable interest rate bad currently/in my situation?
    • Should I look into refinancing my private loans now though my major private loan is deferred currently?
    • From this sub it seems like I should keep the federal loan and think of income based repayment (IBR) is that accurate?
    • How should I go about paying these off? I've heard about the avalanche strategy where you pay off the highest interest loan first after minimum payment on all, but most of my loans are deferred, am I better of starting to pay them now?
    • Since my annual income is >70k, I've read that student loan interest can be deducted up to $2,500, is this helpful to me in anyway?

    Any/all advice would be appreciated. Thank you for helping a newbie out in advance!

    submitted by /u/cloudgal
    [link] [comments]

    Applying for next semesters loan, GPA required but I’m studying in the UK

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 01:09 AM PDT

    I'm studying at a uni in the UK and for my sophomore year loan it's requiring a GPA for the year that just finished. What do I put in..? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/BigDaddyDrank
    [link] [comments]

    No Idea What I'm Doing

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 12:41 PM PDT

    In Georgia

    I was attending a community college straight out of high school with government grants based on my and my family's income and had everything pretty much paid for without my family or I spending any money since we make so little. Was great until I started getting lazy and flunking my classes. I've been in and out of college, passing some classes, failing others, with it all leading to me flunking out again. I wasn't worried, I had a grant, right?

    Come one semester after skipping two, the financial aid office tells me my financial aid hasn't come in yet and I need to get my classes paid for. I got nervous because this hadn't happen to me. They offered me to sign this paper that pretty much said if I flunked out of any classes, I could never receive a state grant again. Me being scared I wouldn't go to school this semester, signed it. Little to no surprise, I flunked out. I tried to appeal, but never receive an answer (to my knowledge).

    About a year and a half later, I'm here, trying to get back into school with private student loans. Mainly, I'm just scared to google those words and get scammed by anyone. I've asked friends and they all just said they get the government grants they're offered. The school said they couldn't recommend lenders either, so I'm kind of at a loss.

    I will provide more information if needed, and thank you in advance for the help.

    submitted by /u/SuperToaster64
    [link] [comments]

    Extra payment allocation

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 07:29 PM PDT

    I have a federal loan serviced through Nelnet. Their website states the default allocation of extra payment is to advance the due date. I have read about people getting burned by this because their next automatic debit gets pushed to the new due date. But if I make all my payments manually, is there any reason to tell Nelnet "don't advance my due date?"

    So let's say I pay my July minimum and now my due date is August. If I paid double my minimum my due date would be September instead. But in the meantime, is that extra payment immediately applied to the interest and principal?

    submitted by /u/mushroomsandolives
    [link] [comments]

    Removing lates after student loan rehab

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 07:12 PM PDT

    A few months ago I completed a federal student loan rehab program and have also since paid the account off in full.

    The loan no longer shows as default and the transferred account's status shows "no data" instead of late payments which is great but the original account still shows the 12 lates leading up to the account transfer & default status. How do I remove these late payments or if possible the original account altogether?

    The account was opened in 2012 and closed/transferred in 2015, which date does the 7 year falloff rule apply to?

    submitted by /u/throwaway-llj4s
    [link] [comments]

    Is my loan still in default if it’s in forbearance/stopped collections?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 06:33 AM PDT

    Not sure if that makes sense. My federal student loans were defaulted years ago because I didn't make any payments.

    I found out that I was eligible to apply for claim forgiveness because the school I attended was part of this pending litigation. I got the email saying that my form was accepted and they put my loan on forbearance and stopped collections until further notice from the court. They stopped garnishing my wages, and I got my tax refund this year.

    Anyway, I'm looking into going back to school. When applying for fasfa it asked if my loans are in default. So yeah, just wondering if it's still considered a defaulted loan. Sorry if this is a dumb question! Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/snicketysnickety
    [link] [comments]

    Private loan advice- High credit score no income/lender recommendations

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 03:56 PM PDT

    Hi! I'm going to be attending the University of Texas at Austin this upcoming semester and need some advice on private loans. UT is a great school but because i'm out of state I need to take out loans to cover the cost. I'm only getting 10k in federal loans so everything else needs to be private. Here's the problem, my mother isn't a US resident or citizen so she can't co-sign. I have a credit score of 730 but I no longer have an income but my mum makes a decent amount of money (which is why I barely receive any federal aid). Is there anyway I can use her income to help supplement my application for a private loan such as saying I'm self employed or have a savings account. My second option is to have my brother co-sign. He's in the military so he obviously has a steady income but i'm not sure of his credit score. Finally, what lenders do you recommend?

    submitted by /u/naomixcarmel
    [link] [comments]

    I don’t have a cosigner and I need money badly.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 08:34 AM PDT

    Hey there. To make a long story short, federal loans aren't enough to cover my expenses. I had a scholarship (Hope Scholarship in Georgia), but I've reached the credit limit for that. So now I'm out of free money. I'm getting the max amounts for pell and federal loans.

    My mom used to have a steady job and amazing credit. But she got really sick and spent about a year in and out the hospital and in a wheelchair which made her unable to cover a lot of expenses which crashed her credit.

    I don't have a father. And my grandparents are retired and the applications don't seem to like that.

    I have a FICO score according to Wells Fargo is 601.

    What can I do to get the extra money I need?

    submitted by /u/tayythefall
    [link] [comments]

    Resources for Organizing/Calculating Loan Payments

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 10:40 AM PDT

    Hello r/StudentLoans

    I was curious if anyone knew of a resource to calculate payment contributions for each "loan token" as each have differing interest rates and principles.

    For example, my total principle is $39,143 spread out among 9 tokens with principles ranging from $5,900 to $1,400 and interest rates ranging from 6.8% to 3.68%.

    I want to more accurately predict my pay off date, and tune my monthly payments to expedite the payment process.

    As an estimate, I calculated a monthly interest rate based on the total interest accrued each month, which calculated to an APR of 3.276% or 0.273% monthly.

    My plan has been to focus excess payments to my highest interest token (i.e. avalanche method); though I like to take easy wins every now and then such as killing this one token I had $500 on.

    As part of this plan I elected to go with the Extended Graduated Repayment plan which is $164.73 per month, to better control excess payment allocations.

    TL;DR

    Would like to know of a loan calculator; I have several loan tokens with varying interest/principles and I want to accurately plan out my payments.

    Thank you all.

    submitted by /u/Macdill
    [link] [comments]

    wwyd: higher interest rates vs. higher accrued interest?

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 09:09 AM PDT

    from what i've been reading, most people suggest tackling multiple student loans from highest to lowest interest rate. i have one student loan with a significantly higher balance, but the interest is 2% less than my loan with the highest interest rate. yet, the lower interest rate is accruing interest at a much faster rate. so, what you would do? start with a loan with a higher interest or one that accruing interest much faster with a lower interest rate?

    submitted by /u/littleparadises
    [link] [comments]

    Wife may be getting played off and both of us are on IBR.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 10:09 PM PDT

    My wife and I are both currently on income based repayment plans and our loans are currently serviced through fed loan. We recently learned that one of our jobs may be downsized and will be unemployed soon unfortunately. We are wondering how that affects our income based repayment amount and who we have to report the potential unemployment ( student [link removed] or fed loan.

    Does this go into forbearance or do they recalculate a new monthly payment based upon my income.

    Thank you all

    submitted by /u/hotshot6493
    [link] [comments]

    Quick Question

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:48 PM PDT

    Do my parents have to pay towards a student loan before the start of a grace period? My family isn't eligible for very much money at all from the FAFSA and cannot afford a high monthly payment so I am hoping that college loan payments can be held off until after I graduate as it would offer me much more flexibility with regards to my choice of college. I currently have one year of high school remaining and I am preparing to apply to colleges in the coming months. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/DfvtdS
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment