• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 5, 2019

    Personal Finance Negotiating salary with a new company. Would it be unprofessional to mention that I’d be walking away from a bonus with my current employer in hopes of getting a higher offer?

    Personal Finance Negotiating salary with a new company. Would it be unprofessional to mention that I’d be walking away from a bonus with my current employer in hopes of getting a higher offer?


    Negotiating salary with a new company. Would it be unprofessional to mention that I’d be walking away from a bonus with my current employer in hopes of getting a higher offer?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 11:24 AM PDT

    Basically, I'm currently employed and considering leaving my job for a number of reasons. I've just received an offer with a new company. I made the unfortunate mistake of giving a salary range before learning about the new company's benefits, and I definitely undersold myself. The company just gave me a formal offer with a salary at the bottom of the range I gave them. It's about a 12% increase from what I make now, but I'd be losing some pretty fantastic benefits. I don't really feel like I can complain, but truthfully this would be a lateral move. I plan on negotiating, seeing as this isn't enough to get me to move.

    Now, my current company has just given me a bonus of $5k, but it won't hit my account until the end of the month. If I accept this offer I'm almost certain they won't honor the bonus and I can't blame them. Would it be unprofessional to mention this bonus in my negotiations with the new company? Or should I stick to talking about the benefits?

    Delaying my start date doesn't feel like an option seeing as I'd have to delay it almost 6 weeks to avoid giving my notice before the bonus is paid.

    submitted by /u/zuzster
    [link] [comments]

    What was it like right before ‘08?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 02:29 PM PDT

    Were a lot of people ringing alarm bells? Or was it completely out of left field?

    I was in college at the time, and was living in my own bubble. I'd be curious to hear the perspectives from the ones who've lived through it.

    I feel like right now, a lot of talking heads are warning abt recession- but the contrarian in me makes me feel like that means we're not irrationally exuberant, so maybe all this uncertainty is priced in?

    I'm currently making offers on a new house, and am wondering if I should pump the brakes to see if prices drop- but who knows. (Mid sized Florida City)

    submitted by /u/mrsmartmoney
    [link] [comments]

    I used pay1040.com to pay my taxes. IRS is saying I didn’t pay. Did I get scammed?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 03:44 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    So I'm a Canadian who moved to the US about a year and a half ago, so this was my first time doing my taxes in the US

    I definitely started late in getting all the paperwork together and ended up not being able to find my last years returns.

    Long story short, I owed roughly $3,700 and was nearing the deadline so instead of mailing a check, I looked online for options to pay digitally. Admittedly, after not looking hard, I landed on pay1040.com after reading a CBS article and submitted my payment.

    Just a few days ago, I got a letter from the IRS saying I didn't pay and they were charging me interest. I've reached out to the company and nobody has gotten back to me.

    What are my options? I feel like I got scammed. Is there anything my bank can do? Should I contact the IRS? Next steps?

    Thanks for all the help!

    submitted by /u/cleverguyjr
    [link] [comments]

    Can my grandmother's social security be garnished if she stops paying her credit card?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:15 PM PDT

    My grandmother is 83 years old and family members have racked up 25K on her credit card. I have no idea how she was approved for that much money, as she is on Social Security only. She has no other income, no property, doesn't even own her own car anymore.

    Her net income is roughly 1300 a month and her credit card bill is a whopping 400 of that!

    If she stops paying the bill, can her Social Security be garnished, and if not is there anything else the CC company can do against her?

    submitted by /u/SaiNarrion
    [link] [comments]

    Currently $50,000+ in debt for a degree I never finished, is there any hope?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:12 PM PDT

    Right out of high school I made the very poor choice of going straight to a private university to work towards an engineering degree instead of getting my gen eds taken care of in community college. To make a long story a little shorter, I dropped out after a year and a half (two in the eyes of my lender) and no longer wanted anything to do with engineering (primarily due to the school).

    I have since gone and earned a technical degree and mediocre-to-decent paying office job. I would be well-equipped to pay off my debt quickly if I only had to worry about the degree I finished, but as it stands I'm looking at about a 67% debt-to-income ratio.

    I am not opposed to finishing my engineering degree somewhere else (and possibly in a different discipline.) But, will I be able to consolidate any new loans with the ones I've already got in this case? The interest rates on both of my previous private loans are higher than my will to live and are the main reason for my insane DTI ratio.

    If I am completely wrong about how any of this works, don't be gentle. I just want to be able to own a house some time before Mars is colonized.

    TL;DR: If one bachelor degree program is dropped out of, then another is started and finished years later, will the debt from the former be able to be consolidated with the debt from the latter?

    submitted by /u/WheelyMcFeely
    [link] [comments]

    Conflicted. Live "rent-free" with parents at the expense of my mental health and pay off debt quicker, or move out and add 3 years to our debt-free goal?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 02:36 PM PDT

    As the title suggests, my fiance and I are conflicted right now. We currently live "rent-free" with my parents, and while that aspect is nice (don't worry, I still provide for them and help with bills, so it's not completely rent-free), it's beginning to really weigh on my mental health.

    Without making this better suited for r/relationships_advice, I'll give a quick TLDR. My father and I just don't get along. We don't see eye-to-eye on nearly anything (politics, you do the math). Beside that, though, is the lack of independence that my fiance and I are missing. We used to live away for a period of 6 months, but then my Mother lost her job and well, since my Dad doesn't make much, we had to help.. and because I cherish her, we decided to move back in and help her stabalize. Now that this has happened, I can't help but feel we need to leave. This doesn't even really include the fact that my dad is a major control freak, and doing small tasks which I once enjoyed such as cooking, showering (yes, showering, I've found myself avoiding it now.. and that's disgusting) and generally being anywhere else in the house aside from our room. This is because he's always 'checking' on people when they're cooking to make sure things are clean, or inspecting the shower to make sure it's towel-dried after usage to prevent mold (yes, you fucking heard that right). It's insane.

    Anyways, the above is just the tip of the iceberg. Our real personal finance question is.. even though moving out would add 3.5-4 years to paying off our debts, as opposed to about 1.5, is this acceptable? This would also put my fiance and I a 5 minute walk from work, but would eat about $2000 - $3000 of our monthly "debt budget" as we live in a very HCOL area (Los Angeles, CA .. Burbank/Pasadena area, yikes).

    I just don't know what to do. I'm trying to make the responsible choice, but I just can't help but feel my health is suffering as a result. I've gained weight, feel depressed, never leave the damn house, don't cook (which means we're constantly eating out...), etc.

    Is this unreasonable of me? Should I just suck it up?

    submitted by /u/OMGDobbyDied
    [link] [comments]

    My card got cloned and I received the product the cloner bought.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 04:02 PM PDT

    As the title says, my card got cloned and someone used it to buy some shoes but he sent it to my address, I really don't get it. I already got my money back from the bank, but now I have a big package of shoes that aren't mine, also I have other package coming tomorrow and I'm not sure what it is, if anyone has any advice it would be good, I'm lost here, this has never happened to me before.

    submitted by /u/JustAPeakyBlinder
    [link] [comments]

    Did any other Chase customers NOT receive an arbitration message?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 10:30 AM PDT

    https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-cardholders-binding-arbitration-opt-out/

    There's been a huge hubbub about Chase forcing everyone to write a letter in order to opt-out of binding arbitration instead of lawsuits.

    I have two Chase cards (Amazon Prime & Sapphire Reserve) and never received an email or note from Chase about this. Has anyone else also heard nothing?

    submitted by /u/no_sight
    [link] [comments]

    Opening a savings account for the first time

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 06:44 PM PDT

    I want to open a savings account for the first time. Right now, I have a checking account with Bank of America.

    I am interested in opening an account with a high APY. After reading this sub for a bit, I realized that Ally is one of the best options. The only "catch" with this high APY is that Ally is online only. Is that correct?

    Also, if I open a savings account with Ally, would I be able to keep my checking account with BoA? I have a bi-weekly paycheck that goes direct deposit into my BoA account- would I be able to instantly transfer a portion of that every 2 weeks into my Ally savings account without worrying about fees or any other blockers?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Kantel9698
    [link] [comments]

    What's the closest thing I can get to seeing the credit score used for mortgages?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:28 AM PDT

    The credit score world is so complicated. Seems like there are about a million different credit scores. The places I check my credit score: Credit Karma, Mint, Wells Fargo, Discover, Chase, Experian.

    All of them give me different scores. Anyone have any idea which score is closest to the one that will be used when I apply for a mortgage?

    submitted by /u/Machiavelli127
    [link] [comments]

    What can I expect from being tricked in to paying off a zombie debt?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 04:57 PM PDT

    Got a call from a "law firm," so after some back and forth I paid off a $250 debt from a bank account over draft from 10 years ago.

    The worst part is that I knew I shouldn't have, but I did. They assured me that it would be settled in full and it wouldn't show up on my credit report.

    After googling the address here in California, found out they're most likely a zombie debt collector. My credit card used to pay it says they're listed as a data/ computer business.

    I already canceled my credit card, and I was thinking about reporting the charge as fraud. Should I just let it be?

    submitted by /u/el_picaro
    [link] [comments]

    Ignoring his investing advice, how do you feel about the order Dave Ramsey recommends doing things in?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 04:57 PM PDT

    I know his investment ideas are a point of contention in this sub (and I definitely see the reasons why), but how do you feel about the actual order he has you do things in?

    I'll simplify his steps here:

    Baby step 1) Save $1000

    Baby step 2) Pay off debt

    Baby step 3) Save 3-6mo of household expenses

    Baby step 4) Invest into retirement

    Baby step 5) Save for kids' college fund

    Baby step 6) Pay off mortgage

    Baby step 7) Build wealth

    I'm more inclined to pay off mortgage before paying for the college fund, but that's just my thought at the moment.

    Can you recommend other people who are helpful for getting out of debt?

    submitted by /u/bencumberbatch
    [link] [comments]

    I landed my dream job as a high school dropout and I am in need of advice

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:26 PM PDT

    So to start, I'd like to talk a little about myself first. I'm a 20 year old male who dropped out of high school back in 2016 I believe. Eventually, this year, I decided to work on finding myself a job. I self taught myself programming from the age of 10, and I have done it as a hobby since, so that is what I wanted to pursue. Back in February I went to a career fair which absolutely saved my life as it landed me my dream job as a software engineer. At this point in June, I am just about to finish my probationary period.

    Now, for my financials.

    • As a junior software engineer with no prior experience or education, my starting salary is 38k. It is expected that this will rise after my probationary period and after my first year.

    • I have 7k in the bank.

    • I go to a credit union instead of a bank.

    • None of my money is invested.

    • Out of my 7k, 1k of it is in an annual redeemable term deposit.

    • I do not have a credit card. Previously, I had a credit deficit after missing phone payments. I believe my credit deficit is gone by now, but I definitely have no credit.

    • I have no student loan debt (didn't go to school at all...) or any debt for that matter.

    So in my opinion, the situation looks pretty good. However, I have a knack for fucking things up just as soon as they are beginning to look good, which is why I absolutely need some real advice from you guys. Before I got this job, I was fucked and a total failure. I don't want to ever fall that low ever again.

    What would you do in my situation? I have a few questions, but I would like if you guys could just give me more advice in general.

    • How much money should I put in savings?

    • What type of savings account is the best?

    • Should I get a bank?

    • This might be unrelated or off topic, but should I try getting a CS degree, if at all possible? If I were to lose my current job I would have no guarantee of getting another without one.

    • Should I invest my money? If so, in what?

    Thank you in advance. I really really appreciate any advice at all. Please give me your brutal honesty.

    submitted by /u/LastLeague
    [link] [comments]

    Logistics of making a large purchase (airplane)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 05:49 PM PDT

    I am getting ready to buy an airplane. I have met the current owner, he is well known and I am getting an inspection done on the airplane before buying it.

    The part I am not quite sure on is the best practice for transferring a large amount of money. Is the right course of action to just go to the bank and get a cashier's check? It seems like that has always been the way to do this, but all I hear about are scams with cashier's checks now.

    Would a wire transfer be preferable? We are located nearby so I could go the the owners bank or they could come to mine.

    submitted by /u/ResilientBiscuit
    [link] [comments]

    Student loan deferment time expired while still enrolled full time

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 04:32 PM PDT

    Throw away account, cause finances. Hopefully I'm posting in the correct place. If not, please redirect me.

    I am 31 years old, just finished my undergrad in chemical engineering. I'm starting my masters in the fall for biomedical engineering, working part-time in a research lab at my university currently during the summer. When I was 19 and stupid, I went to culinary school and took out loans with sallie-mae. I graduated, realized a few months later while working that I absolutely hated the culinary industry and quit. I joined the marines shortly after because I needed something drastic. I paid my student loans while in the military. I left the military after my contract was up and enrolled at my university. I put my loans on deferment while I was attending school. It took me 9 semesters to finish undergrad instead of 8 because I needed a semester to catch up. I had about a 10 year gap since I had even seen anything science related in a class. Navient tells me that they only allow 48 months of loan deferment, so last January while I was in my last semester, they called to collect. This blindsided me pretty good. They expected about $500 a month. Even with a GI bill, this was not doable. I took a 3 month forbearance and I'm getting the daily phone calls again. I have even less money in the summer since there's no GI bill, even though I work more. The lowest they said they can go with income-based payments is $300. For the life of me, I can't figure out how it is possible for me to be in between undergrad and graduate school, which I'm enrolled for full time and currently working on research for, be capable of taking out student loans, and simultaneously be forced to pay them back. Is there anything at all I can do to ease these payments or am I just kinda fucked? I can't be the first person this has happened to.

    submitted by /u/ForwardAverage
    [link] [comments]

    Friend sold his motorcycle and used the funds to pay off the loan. Now the bank claims no account ever existed

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:18 PM PDT

    I'm posting this for a friend with his permission.

    He sold his motorcycle to a private party and used the money to pay off the remainder of the loan. Now the new owner is owed a title and the bank claims that no account ever existed and that they dont have a title to send. The buyer is now threatening legal action. The local DMV will not produce a duplicate because their system still shows a lien against the bike.

    submitted by /u/TAINTEDmcmuffin
    [link] [comments]

    Credit card pay off question

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:08 PM PDT

    I've got a few cards I want gone.

    Should I focus on paying off the smaller debts first and pay minimum on the higher amounts? Working my way up from debt to debt? That's what I was told to do and was seeing if that's the best option?

    submitted by /u/insanotard
    [link] [comments]

    High School student facing a financial dilemma.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:08 PM PDT

    Frequent reader of the sub and I just want to thank you all for teaching me so much about personal finance.

    My situation is as follows... I am 17 years old, junior in high school and have been interested in finance for a while. I started using YNAB (You Need A Budget) at the beginning of this year and it has helped me tremendously in breaking from the paycheck to paycheck cycle that I was experiencing with my first job (cashier at grocery store). I've set up a couple saving goals, have a decent cushion set up to protect myself against any sudden withdrawals and am comfortable financially.

    This summer, I will be working more hours (from my current 16hrs to about 30ish), however, it is not as much as I'd like to (40) because I will be taking a class at my community college simultaneously and it'll require time on its own.

    Here's the problem (finally) Due to my setback in hours, I will be making about $3,200 which is about $1k from what I was planning on making. And the reason that's important is because on my 18th birthday I wanted to open a Roth IRA with a $5k deposit. And between now and my birthday (November) there's no way I'll be able to save that much comfortably. Furthermore, when I started thinking about it, there's plenty of things that I could use the money for (getting a new bike and laptop primarily).

    Here's the question(s): What's in my best interest to save for? The long term or certain luxuries now that, granted, would have an impact on my quality of life? Should I even bother opening up a Roth IRA at my age? I've calculated the impact of starting now vs in 5 years to be quite substantial, but that's assuming that I'll be working all through college with enough to contribute...

    A bit more information: I am not planning on working the summer after senior, I'll be traveling briefly and then getting an internship somewhere and hopefully its paid but I'm not sure. So I have about 11 months of work left before I don't work for a while (through college (that is, according to plan =)).

    Also, I live in the Bay Area, California, if that's needed.

    Even more info

    I am currently making 14 an hour. Have about 600 in my checking with 100 or so in my savings along with 1,000 in a brokerage account handled by my step dad.

    Sorry for the blob of text, I'm not very good at reddit text posts.

    submitted by /u/BlueBerries4884
    [link] [comments]

    How should I plan my finances for potential job loss?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 02:29 PM PDT

    In the next 2-3 years there is some potential for me to lose my job due to the changing landscape of federal legislation. I'm curious what you think I should do in terms of insulating myself if this happens.

    My debts: I currently have $15,000 in student loans, plus $14,000 in home equity loan. Also a mortgage, but all cars paid off. No credit card debt.

    Cash: about $7,000. I'm thinking of starting to put this into money market account for higher interest, but not sure if I should pay off student loan faster first.

    submitted by /u/QiPowerIsTheBest
    [link] [comments]

    Nearly debt free with a Rollover IRA, Roth IRA, and 401k (No match for 1 year). In search of best practice for situation.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 12:30 PM PDT

    Hi /r/personalfinance,

    Bit of a unique situation I have here that I didn't find in-depth results for searching /r/PF. So here it is.

    31 male, $55k per year, debt free in a few months

    • Rollover IRA with Fidelity worth about $16000 in mutual funds
    • Roth IRA opened earlier this year worth about $2000 sitting in money market account
    • 401k plan offered through employer with offer for matching after 1 year of employment (6 months remain until with no match).
    • After I finish paying off my debt in a few months I'll have roughly half of my income to put towards savings

    My question: Until the 401k begins to match contributions, is it best to try and build up the Roth IRA and Rollover IRA until the employer match kicks in? And is there any preference to which IRA I invest in more heavily? I plan on investing in VTSAX when I hit the $3000 mark for Vanguard, and I have a similar mutual fund in Fidelity that I'm already invested in. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, and I have the proper approach here.

    Love this sub, the mods, the users and everyone else that contributes. -Balls_Smooth_As_Eggs

    submitted by /u/BALLS_SMOOTH_AS_EGGS
    [link] [comments]

    Considerations buying a second house?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 05:48 PM PDT

    Hi,

    My wife and I bought our first house in 2016 (in NYS). We saved up enough and put 20% down, which I believe meant we didn't have to carry PMI. We didn't take advantage of any first-time home buyer loans/programs/etc.

    Fast forward to the present. My wife and I were talking over Memorial Day weekend about how nice it would be to have a little place on a lake that's near us that we could hang out at in the summer. So we started to talk about what that might look like. I'm by no means an expert in real estate, so I thought I'd ask this community.

    Here are my questions. If you know the answers to any of these, I'd appreciate hearing them.

    • Are there any programs we can take advantage of or creative things we can do to help with this financially?—because we don't have the same kind of money to throw at this new house that we did for our first one.

    • Since we don't care about having a really 'nice' place and rather just a place we can hang out and sleep, what would generally be the least expensive? a) to find a small, affordable existing place on the lake, or b) to buy a small lot of land on the lake and put up a—and here's where I'm really unsure of what's possible—prefab house? trailer of some sort? A "tiny house"? something else that's out there that we could put beds and a kitchen in?

    There is an option "c" which is to get a REALLY nice place on the water with the intention of renting it out to families for vacation or to people who want to host events—but I feel like that's added complexity and the times we'd rent it out are the times we'd want to use it. Then again, if that could offset costs and make a nicer place affordable, so maybe that's an option...

    Which option is generally the least expensive (net)?

    • Is there anything we'd be able to take advantage of tax-wise? For example, If this is a seasonal property, can we claim it as such and pay fewer taxes?

    • Where does one start? Realtor.com/Zillow type of website, or contact a realtor first (even though we're just exploring options)?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/phcmyfav
    [link] [comments]

    Walked away from a job offer. Did I do the right thing?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:57 PM PDT

    So, I am a currently a teacher, but I recently got a master's degree in educational administration, and I've been looking into other job options, both in the public and private sectors. I applied for a management position with a local tutoring/test prep agency, and after several interviews/conversations, I felt really good about my fit with the job/organization. When I inquired about salary and benefits, I found out they did not offer health insurance (which I knew was possible as a small organization, but it's a big deal because I'm the only one employed for my family). I was told their salaries were adjusted to include purchase on the marketplace. They talked about wanting to pay their employees well and share the wealth, and they just moved into a large, fancy new office space, suggesting they are doing quite well.

    However, I was underwhelmed with the offer.

    The salary was just under $70k, but $10k was deferred compensation to be paid at the end of the school year. They also offered 3% 401k matching, and annual bonuses somewhere between 5-20% of salary.

    For reference, in my current position my salary is around $55k, but for only 9.5 months of work, since I have summers off. I also get 6% matching retirement savings, $2500 in bonuses, and over $17k in benefits of health/dental premiums.

    My thought is, if I'm making $55k for 9.5 months, then I should expect to be paid at that same rate for a 12 month position, meaning around $70k base salary, plus benefits. Therefore, I countered that I would need between $85k-$95k base salary in order to make this position worth it.

    Their response was that as a private company they couldn't really be expected to compare with public benefits. They said they pay more than market rate and their competitors, and unlike in public education, they don't have caps or restraints for how fast or how much your salary can grow. The suggestion seemed to be that if I stuck with them, I would receive a much higher salary in the long run. It certainly is tempting to think what the salary/bonuses could end up being in the future. However, for now, it means working more months of a the year for less in total compensation than I am currently receiving.

    I told them I couldn't accept their offer, and they never countered with anything higher, so I walked away. Now I am just wondering if I missed something?

    submitted by /u/ActualComputer
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on 401k allocation

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:50 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am looking for honest feedback and would like to welcome your open critique on my 401k portfolio. I'm 28 and contributing 10%/paycheck. I've got the following breakdown:

    $13,500

    Large cap equity

    • 20% VFIAX - vanguard 500 index
    • 10% TRBCX - blue chip growth fund

    Small/mid cap equity

    • 10% - VIMAX - vanguard midcap index
    • 15% - VSMAX - vanguard small cap index
    • 5% - IYSIX - ivy small cap growth

    Int'l equity

    • 25% - OIDIX - Invesco oppen Intl divers r6

    Bond fund

    • 5% - FAHCX - fidelity adv high Income

    Other

    • 10% - stable value fund

    Some of my comments/thoughts:

    • how is my allocation to small/mid cap? How is my mix between small/mid cap?

    • I have limited international options. My only other option is PIEQX

    • if im planning to earn income & contribute for another 30+ years, my low bond allocation is not a concern to me this early on. What are your thoughts?

    • I've got cash 10% to buy in during a recession. Any thoughts?

    • do I have any funds I should flat get out of? I used Morningstar to help supplement my allocation decisions

    submitted by /u/Heyhaveagooddayy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment