• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 2, 2019

    Accounting Professor: Make your entries in the T charts first, it'll make the journal entries easier. Me:

    Accounting Professor: Make your entries in the T charts first, it'll make the journal entries easier. Me:


    Professor: Make your entries in the T charts first, it'll make the journal entries easier. Me:

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 07:59 AM PDT

    How do we know if they’re pretending?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 09:05 AM PDT

    Can't believe I'm this excited but I am totally excited that I get to change my flair to CPA

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 12:06 PM PDT

    After passing all my exams in 17, work experience in 18, a few back and forths with the state for lost transcripts and a day of insufficient experience, I am officially licensed!

    Edit - spelling

    submitted by /u/ungr8fu11
    [link] [comments]

    Dad's 30+ career. Any suggestions? Please help.

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 09:41 PM PDT

    So my dad was the head of accounting and finance department at a really prestigious "workplace" (can't reveal-confidential) before he moved to the States. He basically moved here for me and my career and it actually helped me a lot (directly and indirectly). Anyway, that's not the point.

    He basically started from scratch after moving to US. Got a pretty decent job but got laid off and then he's been working in the accounting on and off and in warehouse at desperate times. He is damn good at his job but somehow he's having having trouble landing a well paying job (and he f-ing deserves it- I mean 30+ experience). Does anyone have suggestions ? I really can't see my dad stressing out plus when I know he's done so much for me. :(

    submitted by /u/leochemleo
    [link] [comments]

    How screwed am I? Will I be able to find a job?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 02:26 PM PDT

    I just graduated with a 3.29 gpa with no internships or job offers. My extracurricular activities involve video games. I live in the DFW area and I just hope to make around 80k before I retire and don't mind starting at around 50k.

    I didn't join any clubs as well throughout my time in college. I'm very shy as well lol.

    At the moment I'm just going to apply to everything I see on indeed/LinkedIn.

    submitted by /u/IDENTIFY_AS_PET_DOG
    [link] [comments]

    How hard is it to land a job at a B4?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 08:08 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I'm currently a high school senior and I've found myself snooping around this thread as I am planning on majoring in accounting when I go to college. Recently, someone posted their resume that they were considering sending into a B4 and after a brief overview I thought to myself, 'damn, that dude is very qualified'. I began to ponder whether or not I was qualified, and very quickly found out that I am not quite B4 material yet. The only job I've really had is working as an election judge during the recent midterm elections and that's about it. I suppose in college I can find some form of work that I can put on my resume + maybe an internship at an accounting firm (btw how hard is it to get one of those lolol). This raises the question, how hard is it to work for a B4 firm? I always see people on this thread talking about working there so I assumed it was easy but now I've found myself second guessing. Any feedback would be amazing plus any suggestions as to what kind of work I should find to put on my resume to become more appealing to firms when the time comes. Thanks.

    TL;DR: My resume as of right now as a HS senior is not at all special/attractive so I'm wondering how hard would that make for me to land a job at a B4

    edit: current E.C.'s include DECA (business club) and Debate however I have no leadership position in either activity.

    submitted by /u/manofhighintellect
    [link] [comments]

    Public Accounting vs. Internal audit

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 02:38 PM PDT

    Has anyone made the switch from a public external auditor to and internal auditor? What was your experience?

    submitted by /u/caffeinatingqueen
    [link] [comments]

    Just preparing myself for my internship Monday

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 09:54 PM PDT

    Intermediate Accounting I & II midterms

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 09:50 PM PDT

    I'm taking a rather abbreviated semester of Intermediate Accounting I & II, simultaneously, as pre-requisites to get into grad school as a non-traditional student.

    I'm already in the accounting field, I have been for nearly 10 years now. The grad school I'm applying to waived a bunch of other pre-req courses due to my experience, which is amazing since I don't have a BS in Accounting.

    And. I didn't do so hot on my midterms, and I'm super bummed about it. Not gonna lie, the last couple of weeks in my Int Acct II course needed the whole weekend to complete homework, and I felt okay about my midterm until I saw my grade. I passed, which of course matters, but I really thought I had done better.

    I should've hit this sub up prior to enrolling. SUPER ambitious of me to take them simultaneously as I wanted to get these knocked out prior to the grad school application deadline at the end of this month. Honestly I've taken my work experience for granted. Humbling for sure, but I also feel deflated. Edging on existential crisis, as in, can I even still claim being a staff accountant?

    I know these classes can vary in experiences, but if you have taken these classes, what has your experience been and how did you stay encouraged?

    TL;DR: BA degree holder, does accounting for a living now, trying to go to grad school for a MAcc to legitimize work experience, didn't do so well on mid-terms and is a pretty bummed bobcat seeking encouragement/inspiration.

    submitted by /u/shibobcat
    [link] [comments]

    Does an English major in addition to an accounting major look any good on a resume?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 10:52 AM PDT

    Going into my senior year this coming fall and looking to do my best this coming hiring season. My cumulative GPA is 3.89 at the moment and 3.9 for business classes. I'm a double major in accounting and English. I've worked throughout college but it's mostly been at a number of different jobs, with my current job being an intern at my university's student employment office.

    Do I have a good chance coming into hiring season? Does my English major actually do anything?

    submitted by /u/dreddn0t
    [link] [comments]

    If I pay the wife's rent expenses for her sole prop. business for a few months, can we still deduct those costs?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 11:29 AM PDT

    My wife started a business and for a few months she's need help with rent expenses, so I wrote her a check for those 2 months. From a deduction standpoint, does that mean we can't deduct those 2 months of rent expenses since the funds didn't come from the business account?

    submitted by /u/johnson3232
    [link] [comments]

    Question about computing imputed taxes - Federal Income Taxes

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 08:56 PM PDT

    I guess this is really a math question but I wanted to know how to compute the imputed interest that would be owed for 2019 for the following fact pattern - please break it down in as much detail as possible (FYI: I have a Hp10bii+ financial calculator so calculator steps would work as well):

    "On September 30, 2018, Ridge loaned $150,000 to his mother so that she could enter a nursing home. His mother's only income was $9,000 of Social Security benefits and $500 of interest income.

    The computed imputed interest amount for 2018 is $ 1,125. How much would the remaining imputed interest for 2019 be if interest is compounded semiannually at 3 percent for the remaining 3 quarters?"

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/serj1989
    [link] [comments]

    AUD Exam on Friday

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 08:50 PM PDT

    Hello all, what a long and treacherous road this has been. Happy to announce that this will be my last CPA exam, but I'm a little worried. I'm looking for some advice on what subjects have been appearing more frequently than others for Q2. I'm struggling a bit on internal control procedures (tracing and vouching), and some PCAOB specifics. Any help or insight is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/mr_bigbluntz
    [link] [comments]

    Case study

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 08:47 PM PDT

    How does one conceal increased costs of good sold in the balance sheet. I know (think) cogs, inventory,and revenue accounts will be misstated. Any others?

    submitted by /u/betasizedpecker
    [link] [comments]

    Should I leave public accounting for industry?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 11:29 AM PDT

    I have been in public accounting for about 4 years now. I work for a large firm (not big 4 but in top 10 largest firms) and was recently told that I am on track to be promoted to manager next summer. However, I do not see a long-term future for myself in public accounting so I recently interviewed for an internal audit position for a publicly traded company. Its more money and a larger bonus but 2 weeks less vacation .I received a formal offer this week from them and I am wondering if I should accept it or wait until I make manager and then leave public accounting. Is it better to leave public accounting as a senior or as a manager?

    submitted by /u/caffeinatingqueen
    [link] [comments]

    The path to CPA for me seems confusing

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 06:45 PM PDT

    So I'm making this post because I am not sure the best way to go about getting towards my CPA. Some background, I am 23, and have had to work full time in manufacturing to live, as I have had no assistance from parents. I haven't had any intern opportunities, but I will graduate by May of next year. I live in Alabama, so I have the 1 or 2 year of experience requirement for CPA. But I believe I can also start sitting for the test at 120, but must get to 150 to be licensed. I think as of right now my best bet is to graduate in May, apply for work right when I graduate, but also immediately start my masters, while simultaneously studying for the CPA (the masters at my school is made to prepare you for the CPA, not sure if all are like that or not, so they also have the required courses). I would hope that I could get hired in the fall at a small local firm (I do not live in a big city), and then the first year after my bachelors I hope to finish my Masters, hopefully have 2/4 tests passed, and be working on my first year in public accounting.

    Does this sound like a reasonable idea, or should I just take the required courses, and some easy bs classes to get to 150 hours at a community college? Also, should I attempt to apply for B4 positions out of state (N. Alabama), and then work on getting my CPA in another state if I do get a position there, and do BS classes at a community college in that state? I am on my last year, and I just feel like I am so behind the curve not having internship experience, not being in a big city, and not being from a target school.

    submitted by /u/Spritesgud
    [link] [comments]

    Prepaid Insurance paid with Credit Card - Journal Entry

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 06:37 PM PDT

    Paid for prepaid insurance using a credit card (no related movement of cash has occurred).

    According to this post by /u/LrgShroomPeprniOnion , Dr. Prepaid Expense and Cr. A/P is not allowed.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Accounting/comments/5vccc8/psa_the_following_journal_entries_are_not_allowed/

    How do I record this journal entry? I think it should set up a liability because I owe the credit card company, but that contradicts the linked post.

    submitted by /u/Mega181
    [link] [comments]

    What do you say to people who tell you accountants are gonna be replaced by machines?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 02:44 PM PDT

    Especially to computer science majors who say that their industry is going to replace ours?

    submitted by /u/DiscombobulatedLet6
    [link] [comments]

    Potential Accountant

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 06:16 PM PDT

    I posted in another subreddit but figured I might get better responses here.

    I've been all over the place with my career aspirations. In a perfect world, I would be writing full time but the type of writing I do isn't a viable option at the moment and I don't want to pursue anything like journalism. At this point I don't know where to go but I've recently been interested in accounting, mainly forensic accounting. I was wondering if any accountants could give me pros and cons of the field.

    submitted by /u/my-last-attempt
    [link] [comments]

    Pretraining courses EY

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 06:04 PM PDT

    Anyone know what happens if I don't complete all the prerequisite WBLs before a training?

    submitted by /u/rogue0523
    [link] [comments]

    Staff Accounting Position

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 07:48 AM PDT

    So I'm up for a staff accounting position, I'm not qualified for this job.

    I want to know what this community thinks I need to learn to make it seem like I am, they rely heavy on excel and I want to start taking some online courses to improve my standing.

    Some of the job duties listed:The Staff Accountant's main function is collecting timekeeping information, incorporating a variety of deductions into a periodicpayroll, and issuing pay and pay-related information to employees. This position is also responsible for general accounting function including accounts payable, expense reports, accounts receivable, fixed assets, and debt schedules.

    Key Responsibilities:

    Maintains payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering data

    Review and verifies source documents

    Updates payroll records by entering changes in job title, department/division transfers, pay rates and other related items into QuickBooks

    Utilizes Microsoft Excel extensively, with the ability to manipulate and sort mass data

    Maintains payroll operations by following policies and procedures

    Ensures compliance with federal and state regulations and guidelines

    Tracks and calculates per diem – taxable and non taxable, billable and non billable

    Processes payroll correctly and timely

    Provides payroll information by answering questions and requests

    Resolves payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information

    Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll information by keeping information confidential

    Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, and nontaxable wages

    Calculates Workers' Compensation premiums

    Responds to earnings requests from Unemployment offices

    Calculates and distributes low earnings information

    Tracks deductions from employee paychecks

    Prepares payroll journal

    Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed

    Assists HR & HSE teams with analytics such as employee turnover and TRIR

    Analyzes and provides suggestion for compensation and pay scale changes

    Assist HR in auditing of invoices

    Suggest improvements to HR systems and procedures

    Supports executive team with special analytical projects

    Maintains fixed asset schedule, including depreciation calculation and CapEx detail

    Maintains debt schedules, including long and short-term principal and interest amounts

    Processes deposits and posts receipts to accounts receivable

    All other duties as assigned

    Required Education and Qualifications:

    Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or other related field

    Knowledge of Quickbooks

    Extensive Excel experience

    Analytical and problem solving skills

    Customer service orientation

    Ability to meet tight deadlines

    High degree of accuracy and attention to detail

    Ability to ensure confidentiality

    General Math Skills

    submitted by /u/fathead231
    [link] [comments]

    Favourite excel WP font

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 04:55 PM PDT

    What's your favourite excel WP font? This is a topic of debate at my office, wanted to see if this was a thing with other accounting offices. Myself and a majority of my coworkers use Calibri 11pt religiously, everyone else is split between Times New Roman & Arial. I ALWAYS change fonts if I inherit a file with non-Calibri working papers. I'm so nit-picky about this, it just bothers me a ton if a spreadsheet isn't neat & organized.... & let's face it, nothing looks more visually appealing than Calibri.

    Is there anyone else similarly nit-picky about spreadsheet fonts like this or is it just me & my coworkers? 🙈

    submitted by /u/nerdy_ravenclaw
    [link] [comments]

    Big 4 recruiting question

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 09:18 AM PDT

    Hey all. I missed big 4 SLP recruiting last spring and plan to try harder in the Fall. I know lots of internships for next year 2020 are filled with SLP participants so I'm not sure if I should ask them about SLP or internships for 2020. I'll graduate with 150 hours in 2021. Can someone provide some insights? Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/throwawayagain194
    [link] [comments]

    FAR

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 01:02 PM PDT

    What percentage did your shoot for when reviewing? I.e. if you do batches of 22-33 MCQ for random questions from all sections if you average around 70s is this a solid indicator of passing when taking the actual test? Far is a week out. Just nervous at the moment

    submitted by /u/throwaway4uses
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment