• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 2, 2019

    Refinancing Parent PLUS Student Loans

    Refinancing Parent PLUS Student Loans


    Refinancing Parent PLUS

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 08:16 PM PST

    Is there any way to transfer my (mom's) Parent PLUS over to me? I make all the monthly payments but since the loan is only in her name I don't get any of the tax benefits. I'm also interested in refinancing for the purpose of lowering the interest rate (6.06-6.75%) for 3 loans totaling $60k.

    submitted by /u/plainbananatoast
    [link] [comments]

    Finally Done! How do I get the paid in full letter?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 04:11 PM PST

    As of today I'm debt freeeee!!! Less than a year out if college I've paid off 15k. Will I automatically get a pif letter? Do I really need one?

    submitted by /u/squaremarshmallow
    [link] [comments]

    Fraud loans in my name

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 09:02 PM PST

    Uh, help? I'm dealing with suuuuper delinquent loans for a school I never attended or even applied to. I'm having trouble getting responses, and it's hurting my credit (I've disputed it, but I don't know where to go from there), and I'm afraid to send in my tax return because my dad is saying they'll go straight to the defaulted debt. I've been on time for all of my payments for my real fed loans, but these two mysterious loans (roughly $3000) haven't had a payment in the 2+ years they've apparently existed. Has anyone dealt with this? I don't get how the dept of ed could get this so fucked up.. any advice on where to go, who to talk to (ie yell at), or what to do is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/laceeclair
    [link] [comments]

    I don’t know how student loans work and need advice

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:38 AM PST

    So I'm clueless about how student loans work. All I know is I don't have to start paying them off until after I graduate but it is recommended that I make payments right away if I can.

    I also need some advice. I'm 18 going into my sophomore year next fall (hopefully). My mom payed for most of my first year using money from her 401k and a payment plan because we couldn't get a loan since her credit is horrible. I don't have any credit and in order to get a loan in my own name I would need a co-signer. I don't think my mom would qualify because of her credit so I'm not entirely sure what I should do.

    Edit: I'm currently paying approximately $11,000 per semester after FAFSA and scholarships and am going to school at a private college in Massachusetts

    Edit: Is Sallie Mae a good option for student loans or is it better to go through a bank?

    Edit: Thank you so much to everyone leaving advice. I've read through all of them and will be talking to my mom to seriously re-think my plan going ahead. My specific major is Game Art as of right now so hopefully I can figure out a cheaper option to get into the game artist world in the future.

    submitted by /u/mojo_jojo_ohno
    [link] [comments]

    Why would u ever take out a student loan (law school) 10 yr repayment plan instead of taking out the 30 yr plan and paying it off like the 10 yr plan? (Or faster)

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:27 AM PST

    It's essentially the same 10 yr payments (at least) only ur not screwed if u can't meet a monthly payment and can instead pay the 30 yr rate that month.

    submitted by /u/GodsBestLawyer
    [link] [comments]

    In last year of school, went to rent an apartment and found out my credit's been trashed from delinquent payments of student loan I didn't know was due.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 02:04 PM PST

    Background- I took out a private loan my first year of university because my mother and I didn't really know what we were doing and thought this would be a good way to go. Our interest rate is 10.5% (WILD I know), and we were under an agreement with my previous lender (Chase bank), that my loan wouldn't be due until after I graduated. They sold my loan to Navient, who has a different policy, that it's due 4 years after first receiving it. I've changed address many times due to being a student, I've updated my address. I've had the same phone number for the past 10 years, and email. Last month I went to rent an apartment and was denied because my credit score has plummeted into the 400's due to 'delinquent payments' from this loan. I have had no contact that the terms were changed or that it was due, as I don't answer random calls on my phone, and the last email they sent me, 4 months ago, said nothing was due. I tried to log into my account, and my account had been erased and I was unable to login. I called them and found out that they determined my email and address to be "bad" (yes this is their exact words, and they stopped sending things to it).

    I told them that I feel like my rights are being violated since I have not been properly informed, and that I would like to speak to a legal counsel before continuing. They then told me that if I didn't either start paying within the 10 days or pay forbearance, that they would default my account. I felt like I had no choice but to go into forbearance, so I went ahead and paid the 50 dollars. Then the next week, they sent me a class action lawsuit telling me that they were going to sue me for nonpayment.

    I have no idea what to do from this point. I feel like my rights have been violated but I'm not even sure what rights.

    My priorities are-

    How can I fix my credit ?

    Should I file a lawsuit against them (Navient)?

    basically help please :/

    submitted by /u/akimakai
    [link] [comments]

    What is Your Student Loan Story...and is it worth it?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 04:02 PM PST

    Hello, everyone! My boyfriend (22) was just recently accepted into a Human Language Technology graduate program. He wants to attend and get his Masters - but it will put him roughly $70,000 in the hole. I am posting for the both of us - we want to know from real people whether or not you feel that your Student Loans were necessary and are worth the burden. It is really scary to be staring at the number, trying to fathom what it feels like to spend that much money.

    We are scared and excited at the same time. This is a big dream of his, and it will help him achieve the life style that he wants for himself and for us, and (hopefully) our future family - but that all starts with a huge amount of debt.

    So.... Is it worth it?

    submitted by /u/Maytag1996
    [link] [comments]

    Navient says I owe $0.00 and an overpayment warning?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 07:02 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I just submitted to recertify (with plenty of time) last month after filing my taxes last month. All my loans are with Navient. My payments are due on the 13th of the month. My husband and I file jointly. Last year, we made about $10k more (AGI) than we did this past year because we moved for my job and I made more, which meant that my husband could take time to get a FT job in our new location while we saved on the $1400.00/mo childcare bill (we have 3 kids but thankfully only one still in diapers).

    My normal payment is set to autopay. I haven't gotten the confirmation back about recertification yet but we both submitted our part. Last week it took about 3 weeks, so I was expected to see the confirmation this upcoming week. I went to check on Navient and make sure I didn't miss the notice. When I logged in, I saw a warning about an "overpayment" that was upcoming on my Autopay. Now, my loans show I owe $0.00. I check my statements every month. This last one for March said the correct amounts.

    Is it possible that because we made less this year, my payment has been adjusted down? I can't imagine it being 0! Is there something wrong? Why is there a warning about an overpayment?

    I sent them an email but I'm not expecting I will hear back until at least Monday. I don't want to get in trouble with an overpayment but also do not want to tarnish my perfect repayment history or put my PSLF (haha as if it will ever happen) eligibility in jeopardy.

    TIA!

    submitted by /u/bocktacular
    [link] [comments]

    Dropping Out - What Will Happen to My Student Loans

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 08:51 PM PST

    Due to health problems and a related change in career, I am going to be dropping out of school before the start of my next semester. I currently have four loans managed by Nelnet totaling a little over $8.8k. Half are subsidized, half aren't. Half are at 4.45% interest, half are at 5.05%. Will these loans be handled separately when repaying or will they be consolidated?

    submitted by /u/KeraKitty
    [link] [comments]

    Refund Garnished?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 04:14 AM PST

    So no idea where to start... I currently have around 40k in student debt. its been around 10y since I last attended college..... i was under the impression my loans were either on hold or on a flex payment plan with adjusted for income(every few months id get a call and they want a payment I talk to explain im literally homeless and i do a 0 a month or 5 or 10$ a month for so many months auto pay ) well my tax refund just got garnished ive called # provided and its just hold time of 1.5+hours with no human contact..... no idea how to proceed

    submitted by /u/manhernandez295
    [link] [comments]

    Need help analyzing the consequences of accepting these student loans (picture attached in post). How much will interest accrue up by the time I graduate?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 08:39 PM PST

    I've been offered the following financial aid package for the upcoming 2019-2020 semesters and don't really have a clue on how interest will ultimately affect the final debt I'll owe.

    https://imgur.com/a/VZGh6jN

    It says that at the end of the year, I'll owe $12,500 total.

    But how will the unsub loans grow with interest?

    How much will I owe by the end of the year? (2020)?

    submitted by /u/lotyei
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to stay motivated

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 01:01 PM PST

    Posting this because right about now I need some motivation and support. I'm starting to get burned out from all the energy spent on defeating these loans. I'm just exhausted through and through. Today I paid off another loan and now I am down to 3 loans for a total of a little over $17k left. My goal is to demolish these loans by midnight on 12/31/19. All of the on call hours, tutoring hours when my brain feels like Swiss cheese after a full work day and getting woken up at all hours of the night with call offs and other work related issues is only temporary, right? I can do anything for a year, right? I have a job interview on Tuesday for potentially a $15k raise so fingers crossed because I want my life back. I feel like all I do is work, get shitty sleep for 5 hours and wake up to do it all over again.

    submitted by /u/ladollyvita1021
    [link] [comments]

    Art Institute Fraud - Promotional Materials

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 07:48 AM PST

    Hey guys,

    I'm an alumnus of the Art Institute - one of EDMC's scam schools. I graduated in 2009, and I'm in the process of filling out my Defense of Repayment application to the Dept of Ed. Anyway, one of the things they ask for as evidence of wrong-doing is misleading promotional materials. I can't access the email account I used during school, and given that I enrolled over 10 years ago, I lost all the promotional materials they sent me. I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any promotional copy from the Art Institute in the 2006-2009 year range? Of particular interest would be any materials that reference their "amazing" job placement rate, post-graduation. This documentation could really help me (and you, potentially) out.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/The_Banderlog
    [link] [comments]

    Unsure if I should take loans out or take a semester off and work

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 05:00 PM PST

    Hello. I'll be going in as a freshman in the fall. I recently got my financial aid package and was given the max possible for undergrads in the Federal Subsidized category. I'm really trying to avoid accepting the Unsubsidized but it's looking like either way I'll have 18k left over to pay every year.

    My parents won't be contributing in any way and I am 18 and already have a credit score so taking loans out won't be an issue. I also plan on working every year and I have a plan to move out of housing after the first year to try and bring costs down. My major is one of those that are kinda frowned upon but it leads to getting a Masters in Education and being eligible for more pay my first year teaching. So.

    My question is: is there any way to actually manage 18k a year or am I going to have to take a semester off eventually to work? I know the basics of taking Federal student loans but I have no idea how it works with private banks and credit unions.

    submitted by /u/chickenboyjr
    [link] [comments]

    Which Nelnet repayment options to pick?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 04:35 PM PST

    I want to as low as I can per month so that I can hit the debt owner with 1 big lump sum for less

    I have to pick between 2 plans. Term-based offers "instant enrollment". Income-driven offers "options to enroll on studentloans.gov"

    I am considering finishing ~60 credits and earning a B.S.

    Only owe ~7k

    submitted by /u/IsntThisSumShit
    [link] [comments]

    My wages are about to be garnished for an unpaid student loan, but some things are wrong.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 07:57 AM PST

    My wages are about to be garnished for an unpaid student loan, but some things are wrong.

    Honestly, the only thing they seem to have correct is my ssn.

    The name is wrong. They used the incorrect spelling of my name, and they used an incorrect initial.

    Also, they have an incorrect amount. My loan started at 42k, and was paid to 32k at 5.5% interest, until I lost my job, and then… 7 years later, I'm employed again, but I'm being garnished for a total amount of 85k The math on that … I am doing it in my head but something is not correct. Roughly 32,000 * .055 = 1760 per year, 1760*7 =8800 so 41k should be close. They are over double that number.

    I don't even know where to start with this. I feel like it might be good to get this right earlier rather than later.

    submitted by /u/stevejohnson007
    [link] [comments]

    Filed a request for REPAYE, got placed on standard plan instead?!

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 02:04 PM PST

    Has this ever happened to anyone? I've been on IBR for years now, and my payment recently went up to $260 so I requested to be put on REPAYE because the estimated payment was around $160 which would make life a lot easier. Today I got an email stating "The results of your request are available!" and found a PDF that showed my payments had been increased to a whopping $960, almost half my entire income.

    I'm hoping this was the result of either a mis-click on my part or something they messed up and can fix, obviously I have no intention of paying 50% of my net income per month nor am I able to (although it shows my entire balance would be paid off by 2022). What's the smartest next step for me to take?

    submitted by /u/DunceMemes
    [link] [comments]

    AES has three of my loans. Won't let me choose which to pay off. Normal?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:16 AM PST

    AES has three of my loans with PNC.

    One is 8% (Graduate PLUS) and the other two are 5% (Federal Stafford).

    I want to pay off the 8% loan which is like $60k but they are telling me any payments will be applied equally to all three loans. Is this normal?

    Edit for some clarification:

    Sorry, I see now my OP wasn't clear.

    I have three loans with them around the range of:

    60k - 8.5%

    20k - 5%

    20k - 5%

    I have 75k cash and i want to pay off the 60k loan but they are telling me I can't do that and that it will be split evenly so that each loan gets 20k. Maybe I wasn't clear with them either?

    submitted by /u/anon4wl
    [link] [comments]

    Survey about Student Loans & Employment

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 01:05 PM PST

    Hi all, I'm a Stanford student doing some research about ways to alleviate the pain around student debt, especially since on average a college grad has over $30K in debt :(

    Specifically, we're looking into how employers can help their employees with their student loans. Would really appreciate if y'all could help a girl out and fill out this quick 5 minute survey!

    https://stanforduniversity.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bjA9puqHBW1DLI9

    submitted by /u/helloworldbloop
    [link] [comments]

    Consolidated medical school loans and credit score dropped by 43 points!

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 08:57 AM PST

    I recently consolidated my medical school loans (~200k) so that I qualify for income based repayment. Checking my credit score on Credit Karma, all of my old loan accounts were closed and two new ones were opened for the consolidation. However, because of this my score dropped from 796 --> 753. Is this a normal thing to happen after consolidation, or is something wrong?

    submitted by /u/polymeraser
    [link] [comments]

    Want to help my wife, where to start?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 07:10 AM PST

    My wife has 70k in student loans. She has signed up for the Income Driven Repayment plan and her monthly payments are 200.00/month but she only makes 24k/year. I make a lot more and the IDR monthly payment is calculated off both our incomes. Is their a solution or payment plan that will only look at her income?

    The reason I ask is my wife only works to pay daycare. I pay all other expenses but now with her monthly payments being over 1/3rd of her checks we are struggling to pay for childcare. I pay all the other expenses and can't figure out how Navient thinks its fair that they lump me in with her decision to go to school 15 plus years ago.

    I don't expect a complete answer but rather a point in the right direction. I want enough money to provide for my family without being stressed out and being angry every other day about not being able to afford life. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/N8tV-EngNeer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment