• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 2, 2019

    Floating homes Real Estate

    Floating homes Real Estate


    Floating homes

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 12:47 PM PST

    Anyone have any advice for buying a floating home in Oregon? Not a house boat, but a normal 2 story home built on a floating platform instead of land, with ownership of the moorage slip.

    This is an example on the higher end of our budget. I'm a water person and being able to put a fishing pole out the window, take the kayak for a spin, or park a boat, seems like a worthwhile investment.

    We'd be buying one with slip ownership to avoid increases to rent over time. They pay an HOA fee that's usually ~$200/mo (per lot, some are double sized and $350/mo hoa) instead of $700-$800+/mo rent. Some come with a garage on land for storage.

    Obviously the floating platform would be a concern, some of the old ones are floating on logs, but newer ones are on barges that should last 100 years+. I think we'd rule out any log based ones, I imagine rot and mold would be too big of a potential problem.

    As far as value over time, there are a fixed number of legal slips, so I think it'd appreciate along with normal real estate (it's right in the city), while an aging float would lower value based on the price of replacing the float over time, like over 20 years it might subtract $20k-$50k from the value depending on the condition of the float and rising need to replace.

    submitted by /u/mixreality
    [link] [comments]

    Competing Offer Situation

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 02:48 AM PST

    Going to be making an offer on a single family home in a competing offer situation. The area is notorious for going over asking price in a competing offer situation.

    Trying to determine the best, most competitive offer. I'm flex on closing date, plan to allow their move-out date to be any time within 2 weeks after closing, will provide $ towards any fixes coming out of inspection, will offer substantially over asking price, will be putting 20% down. Anything else you can think of to sweeten the deal? Also I may get pre-approval as opposed to pre-qualification... does this help make for a more solid offer?

    My biggest concern is cash offers. Just was reading about delayed financing. Don't think it's quite possible to "find" the cash needed to do something like that but perhaps if we borrowed from family. Sounds really complicated though. Anyone have experience with this?

    Finally, whatcha think about escalation clauses? I'm torn.

    I don't want to lose out on this house. Wah! All tips and tricks appreciated.

    submitted by /u/BULOjoy
    [link] [comments]

    Pulled a title search on sellers who countered higher than list price

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 06:54 PM PST

    Update to previous post, re: sellers countering at higher than list price for an offer 10% under list price for a house that's been on the market a while and overall was in okay shape but dated, claiming they were 'insulted' (as per my realtor). We walked, as they didn't seem to want to negotiate in good faith.

    I pulled a title search for my curiousity, despite asking my realtor for one and not getting a straight answer.

    As it happens... The sellers bought the property in '07 for about $150k. In 2012, the mortgage balance was at $97k, and they refinanced for $195K. This probably explains why they are so unwilling to budge on the price. In their minds they "paid" $195k for it 7 years ago.

    We're in Canada... what purpose is there do refinancing for a higher amount, especially almost 100K difference? I mean obviously pulling equity/cash out of the house, but they also clearly did not do any renos or updating to the house that's for sale. My guess is they bought another home to live in and decided to rent this one out for the income? Or to make renovations on the house they live in, since they currently rent this house? I've never heard of someone refinancing a rental property, but doing a little research shows that it's pretty common.

    Unfortunately, I don't think it gives us any new negotiating room (not that they were going to be rational about it anyways). I guess we just hope something better comes up when more homes pop up as Spring arrives! In any case, thanks for all your advice that walking away was the right call. :)

    submitted by /u/mariessecret
    [link] [comments]

    I'm selling a house and escrow is asking me to order HOA documents for $630. How do I protect myself?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 06:25 PM PST

    I am selling a house in California and I understand that as the seller I am required to purchase and provide to the buyer HOA documents. Escrow is asking me to do it through Homewisedocs.com and the fee is $630.

    From online research, I am advised to wait until "contract is ratified and the appraisal goes through". What contract specifically should I be waiting for and should I ask my realtor for proof of appraisal (he told me over the phone it was appraised at sales price)?

    submitted by /u/soy714
    [link] [comments]

    Husband asked to sign listing paperwork as seller. He does not own the house.

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 12:01 AM PST

    My mother in law (MIL) owns a house that is currently on the market. Husband and I lived in said house for a few years but bought our own home nearly a year ago. The house has been vacant since May and my husband's brother (BIL) has been handling the sale as MIL lives several hours away. Recently BIL had husband sign some dot loop paperwork including listing documents where he appears as a "seller" and "owner" alongside MIL. Husband does not own this house, has not lived there in months, has no legal stake in it except for water and electric bills still being in his name. The sole owner is MIL, as listed on the deed as well as the county assessor website.

    Why might my husband be on this paperwork? What legal trouble could it case that he is erroneously listed as a seller? How do we get ourselves out of this mess?

    submitted by /u/AllEternals
    [link] [comments]

    New Construction Down Payment

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:46 PM PST

    There is a small builder that has 10 lots or so that they are going to develop. They are building a display home on one of the lots that I am interested in. Construction hasn't yet started as they are in the process of getting permits. When I expressed interest in the potential future display home and asked about financing and next steps they replied that they typically require a 20% deposit in escrow up front upon execution of the sales contract for the lot before they would do any development. This would be refunded upon completion and replaced with a mortgage. When I spoke with my friends who bought new construction from large builders it sounds like they only had to pay a nominal deposit. What factors in the contract should I be focused on if I do end up paying this 20% deposit to make sure I don't get burned? Also, given that this is a builder with several lots is this even a reasonable ask of me to keep 20% of the purchase price of the house tied up for 6 months? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/fa21212
    [link] [comments]

    Capital gains tax exclusion for primary residence

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 07:35 PM PST

    I have read the IRS site and just want to confirm. Can someone kindly explain this to me as it has been bugging me for a while. I understand that to be eligible for capital gains tax exclusion you have to have lived in the property for 2 of 5 years. But what if you lived in the home as primary residence for like 4 and a half years? Are you not eligible for the $250k tax exclusion?

    submitted by /u/gamer127
    [link] [comments]

    Earnest money on an already constructed new home

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 07:18 PM PST

    New construction home and sellers real estate agent is stating that seller will not accept offers without a non-refundable earnest money offers regardless of appraisal

    Can they do this? I'd rather not place an offer if I lose my earnest money if it doesnt appraise for offer price

    Edit* only reason why I'm asking is because I don't feel like it will appraise for asking price. If the home appraised for asking price, I would probably pay it, begrudgingly.

    My realtor also doesnt think itll appraise for asking price

    submitted by /u/datazzthough
    [link] [comments]

    Need urgent help analyzing potential commercial real estate investment

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:27 PM PST

    Hello all,

    I'm in talks with an owner of a 3000 sq ft 4 unit building with manufacturing zoning. I'm going to tour the building tomorrow at 9am CST. He's asking for $299,000 but he's very motivated so I know there is wiggle room. At the moment he has 3 of the 4 units rented (upholstery company, lawyer's office, and not sure what the other one is). For those with previous commercial real estate experience, what main things should I be looking into or asking? Here are the knowns:

    Rent per tenant: $750 (this is below market value due to deferred maintenance, I believe $1,000-1,200 is more realistic)

    Property taxes: $900 per year

    Landlord insurance: $1,000 per year

    Landlord pays water/trash: claims to be $125 per month (will ask for proof)

    Landlord is in charge of snow removal and mowing lawn

    There are 5 electric meters, each tenant pays their own (landlord covers hallway and outdoor lights)

    What I plan to ask for is the copies of the leases, copies of the utility bills, and copies of bank statements showing the tenants are actually paying on time. I'll also ask to interview the current tenants. He has a survey done. I'll obviously ask if there are any big issues he knows about (I believe it's in his best interest to disclose since if we go to contract, he'd have to legally sign saying he's unaware of any major issues). I'll also if he's interested in owner financing as he owns the building free and clear. If not, I'll go the traditional lender route with 20% down but no realtor, just a real estate lawyer I've used to buy land before.

    Any help/thoughts/etc. would be very welcomed. Thank you all in advance!

    submitted by /u/TallMexican15
    [link] [comments]

    Capital one 360 for closing?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:06 PM PST

    I will be closing on a house in April and I am kind of getting nervous about using my Capital One 360 (Online only bank) account to either wire the closing costs or mail me a certified check. I have read a few horror stories of people using the wire functionality from them and I dont really like the idea of getting certified check in the mail. Has anyone used them before for this purpose?

    I am considering asking my lender if its okay if I transfer the money to my local credit union and get a certified check from them instead.

    submitted by /u/Philly139
    [link] [comments]

    Buyer's Agent Commission New Construction, Capturing Fees for Yourself

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 09:45 PM PST

    I plan on purchasing a house new construction. My understanding is if I use a buyer's agent, they will capture 3% of the purchase price of the home in the form of a fee. If I don't have a buyer's agent yet, how can I try to capture those fees for myself? Any strategies are greatly appreciated. This would be in the state of MO and I have not visited the builder in person yet (builder is small and is using a selling agent and I have spoken over the phone with her quite a few times).

    submitted by /u/fa21212
    [link] [comments]

    When to worry about cracks in basement block walls?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 05:58 PM PST

    Hey all,

    My SO and I have found a house we really like, in a great neighborhood. I am woefully inexperienced when it comes to house buying and could use some advice on when to be concerned about cracks in basement walls. We have been in multiple houses so far and not one had no cracks, but the cracks are always unique and I am not sure if there is a rule of thumb or guideline for judging. If we make an offer we will definitely be getting an inspection, but how do we know if the cracks are so bad we should not even put in an offer?

    Below are the two cracks found in a 500sqft basement of a split level house that we really want to put an offer on, could anyone give their opinion on the cracks? Also can you point to a good resource for learning more?

    https://imgur.com/a/XQdPOuw

    submitted by /u/NervousNelly89
    [link] [comments]

    Can I get out of Buyer Rep Agreement? (Tx)

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 12:42 PM PST

    Update

    He emailed me back that it's fine and just requested I refer him to others. I sent him an egiftcard!

    Ok, this is a little different because I actually have no problem with my realtor. He helped me put an offer on a house that ended up not being accepted. (He didn't show me this house. I found it in my neighborgood.)He also showed me two houses I was interested in that I didn't make an offer on.

    So a few days ago my neighbor offered to sell me his house, FSBO, and adamant he wasn't paying my agent's commission. I emailed my agent and asked very nicely if I could be released and offered him fair compensation for his efforts up until now. I told him I would leave rave reviews on the platforms of his choice. Well, he didn't respond at all and I think he's probably pretty pissed.

    The thing is, he told me that this was a possible outcome especially with FSBO deals, and that they usually let people out to spare themselves nasty reviews. I am a first time homebuyer and the opportunity to buy a starter home that isn't being listed so that I don't have to compete with all cash buyers is rare and I can't not take it.

    Our contract began on Feb 7th or somewhere close to then, so it hasn't been a very long relationship.

    Is he just never going to respond? Are these agreements ever enforced? I am wondering if his lack of a response is an unspoken approval from soneone who would rather not have any more contact with me.

    submitted by /u/stillsomewhere
    [link] [comments]

    Radon Gas Hazard Question

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 09:17 PM PST

    We got radon readings of 3.7 and 4.1 in the bedroom of our home that we are in the buying process for. Am I right to be concerned about these readings even if just a little higher? We did a bit of research and it looks like the radon gas levels also has the potential to go up depending on the weather conditions as well so we wanted to take that into account. Also, according to the EPA, even those levels under 4 still pose some health risks and we want to mitigate that as much as possible.

    submitted by /u/ChrisYee90
    [link] [comments]

    What cost must be considered before buying land?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 07:52 AM PST

    I'm looking at buying lots of land throughout the US in rural places (cheaper). Acreage between 10-100. I understand that there are property taxes and other things to consider in terms of how the land is used, but i'm really in the dark on the specifics.

    What are common mistakes/overlooked expenses for first time land owners?

    Any resources or guidance on research is much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Onyxac
    [link] [comments]

    Seller did not disclose major issues in contract. Can I get my inspection money back?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 06:50 PM PST

    Long story short, I was under contract for a home that needed some help. The seller mentioned a couple things that needed to be done, but things I can handle like flooring, painting, etc.

    After light negotiation, we go under contract. I pay $400+ for an inspection, and there are major issues that made me back out of the contract the next day. We're talking AC not working at all, hot water heater failing, moisture in the walls from step cracks that weren't handled properly. The seller verbally stated that all the step cracks were taken care of with no moisture in the walls, and that all appliances work just fine.

    Is there anything I can do to get my $400+ Inspection back? Or do I just chalk this up as lesson learned, and pay closer attention before making an offer? To me that's borderline fraudulent from the seller. I wouldn't have made my offer and paid for an inspection if they had listed those items in the disclosure. Anyone seen this before?

    submitted by /u/JustthatITguy
    [link] [comments]

    Selling house after 1 year...good idea? Bad?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 02:10 PM PST

    We are a family of 3, about to be a family of 4. Last year, I purchased our first home. We went from sharing one bedroom in a rent house with 2 other people to a 1700 sq ft house with 3 bed room, 2 bath, big open floor plan in a nice family neighborhood for $147k for just us. Middle of Arkansas, so housing costs are cheaper than most places. It's also located in a spot where real estate is gaining value rapidly because of the accelerated growth of the city.

    But, while we love the place, we really think it would be smart for us to get into a smaller home and get out of debt. Not a tiny house, but a small house no more than 1,000 sq ft. Possibly closer to 600-700 sq ft.

    I went into the house with zero debt and a few thousand in savings, and that $20k down payment. But, a year later, I am with a $126k mortgage, $20k in credit card debt, and $20k in student loan debt (student loan debt building as I go, Information Systems major though, so guaranteed money on the other end of it). I'm currently making close to $30k a year, and my wife makes $19k a year. That will most likely continue these next 2 years until I graduate. I'm looking at the idea of possibly swapping from college to a coding academy instead, but I don't want us to get stuck with me making the same money as I'm making now. IS majors from this school don't make less than $60k a year after graduation with a bachelor's.

    Thinking I might have rushed into this house thing a little fast. So, we're thinking it would be smart for us to down size and start working on paying down our debt and staying debt free instead of letting this cycle continue. We're having to think differently, more simple, as far as down sizing goes. We both believe we can do it. Use some concepts on space saving moves from tiny houses, but apply it to a slightly bigger set up. Then, use that as our house for the next 5-7 years until our children grow a little older.

    Thing is....would we be taking a loss selling this house a year later? Real estate websites estimate the house has gone up $10k in value since last year, but I know that doesn't really mean anything. Is it possible that we could sell and at least get back the $20k down payment and then use that to get a smaller house under $100k? Or, most ideally, get land that is ready for a house (most are around $15k-$20k around here) and then use the land as collateral to get a construction loan and build a $40k-$50k small house? Can it work that way?

    Or, without extra money being saved up and instead being in debt, are we kind of just stuck with the place for now?

    submitted by /u/Pearcenator
    [link] [comments]

    Help with job application question about real estate industry

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 04:52 PM PST

    Hello everyone,

    I'm currently applying to a internship at a real estate firm and I'm struggling on one of the questions on the form, I was hoping someone here could help me out.

    The question is : 'The Real Estate Industry is changing. Name three disruptive forces driving change and state how [the firm] can leverage them to the benefit of the business 200 words max'

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/Uchiha_W
    [link] [comments]

    Negotiating as is property

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 08:46 AM PST

    Currently wife and I live in large house with in-laws. Wanting to buy in the same neighborhood. A house across the street has been vacant for 3 years and we finally talked to the people who are handling the estate. They want to offload as is.

    House needs a lot of work and there is junk and vehicles all over the property. Which doesn't scare me at all since we live across the street and are not time pressed. It's also on the water.

    If the current assessment is $570k, is it realistic for us to be able to negotiate to 400?

    I know all deals are different, this is our first, so I'm trying to get ball parks of how to do this.

    submitted by /u/Thatguy1125
    [link] [comments]

    First time home buyer: Interpretting Termite Damages

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 02:46 PM PST

    First time buyers, my wife and I, just had our termite inspection completed which found damage to sill plates and other areas including hidden damage (including the hard wood floor in the living room). No signs of treatment ever being done.... Are we looking at having the seller's paying a hefty bill or wanting to just walk on the deal?

    edit: We picked the Inspector and his report recommended treating for termites, repairs to substructure of the house, hardwood floors damaged, and possible hidden damage that couldn't be seen due to obstacles.

    submitted by /u/fishrunhike
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a home this summer, looking for advice on how realistic this is.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 02:41 PM PST

    Does Tax for a Rental property go to Both Rental Expenses and Deduction of Property (Real Estate) Taxes?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 07:23 AM PST

    I have a question about the Property tax. I own a condo which is rented to a tenant during 2018. This is the only property I own and pay tax. I am using TurboTax to file the tax. In Wages & Income, when calculating the rental Income, I put the Tax for this condo in the Rental Expenses:

    https://imgur.com/a/FNZ1sGd

    Then I proceed to Deductions and Credits, can I still put the Tax for this condo here in Property (Real Estate) Taxes?

    https://imgur.com/Qdy7phu

    What about the homeowner insurance? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/zorro_usa84
    [link] [comments]

    USDA Direct Loan Virginia

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 01:16 PM PST

    Can anybody shed some light on the USDA direct loan process in the Virginia area? How was the process for you and how long did it take to close? My husband and I submitted an application a week ago and I'm anxiously waiting to heard back from them. The $25 credit report fee has not been taken from our account yet.

    submitted by /u/love4africa22
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment