• Breaking News

    Monday, April 30, 2018

    Accounting Can't touch this

    Accounting Can't touch this


    Can't touch this

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 01:00 PM PDT

    Might as well work at Walmart

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 01:57 PM PDT

    THANK YOU TO r/accounting !

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 08:24 AM PDT

    I've just got a call from PwC. They offering me a job there! Thanks to all the people in r/accounting for critiquing my resume. Also thanks for reigniting my passion towards accounting again with your memes. Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/mitomeen
    [link] [comments]

    My Dad asked his accountant brother to help with his taxes...

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 09:07 PM PDT

    Murders Kittens, Wets the Bed... and This?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 08:37 PM PDT

    Any HOTCPAs looking to date?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 09:07 AM PDT

    Don't know how to crosspost but figured you guys would enjoy this.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 08:32 PM PDT

    Can we do a thread about exiting public?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 03:19 PM PDT

    How long were you in public, size of firm, what was your title when you left, and where did you go after you left? Cmon, you know you love the bragging opportunity.

    submitted by /u/Comfort_Twinkie
    [link] [comments]

    GG to all my peeps taking REG

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 11:44 AM PDT

    Just left Prometric. Will report in 2027 when the AICPA releases the score. Hopefully the nightmares stop by then.

    submitted by /u/sonic371
    [link] [comments]

    Why do Colleges Push Public Accounting so Hard?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 07:09 PM PDT

    When was in school, the professors and department heavily push public accounting. Why is this?

    I have worked in both. From my experiences, I prefer private. Private is more easygoing. In public my bosses are obsessed with work.

    Maybe I am just unlikely that I have a jerk boss, but wondering what others think of environmental differences between the two.

    submitted by /u/CanisTokay
    [link] [comments]

    after 15 months since graduating i finally got a offer in an industry position for 53k

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 06:13 PM PDT

    i wasn't good enough for public (bad gpa due to health issues but i guess that's all that matters even though i've interned at a small sole prop firm and have extremely good extracurriculars) and i've been biding my time with teaching myself how to program and studying for my exams which hasn't gone too well. based on the feedback during the hiring process, the people involved thought i was a strong candidate and for the first time in my life actually managed to develop rapport with HR (the firm is in the manufacturing industry and i told the hr lady that i was very hyped about their products and talked about the raspberry pis i have in my room and her boyfriend also had a bunch of them). what also benefited me was setting the bar high since i was the first person interviewed for the position.

    i think i was lucky here because the people at the firm seemed friendly and i managed to spit out tech buzzwords in the interview to the degree that i was eager to solve their (read: my boss) problems as a candidate.

    i am assuming that my firm will start me at zero which means i'll be asking a million questions about the firms processes with the entire accounting cycle and other matters. will keeping a simple notebook suffice to organize my thoughts and questions, or should i rely more on web services like google docs?

    submitted by /u/Reddit_DPW
    [link] [comments]

    4 months into B4 and hating the work/group I'm in.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 11:33 AM PDT

    first thing is this is a throwaway account as my main one would give away who I am. Excuse any grammar or spelling I typed this during my lunch break.

    I am trying to look at this situation the best I can and determine if I am right in the way I feel about this or if I just need to suck it up and get used to the way things are about the real world.

    Anyway, I started at a B4 about 4 months ago and before that I was told I would be in the same group I had interned with (I am tax). This group I found to be very interesting but it's also very specialized and I still have no idea what exactly I want to do/where I want to be but I had still requested to be placed in this group and the partner even told me about 2 months before my start date that I would be. When I got to my orientation I was told I would be placed in the core tax group with no explanation on why or what had happened with the group I thought I would be.

    I was disappointed/frustrated but like I said earlier I still didn't know what kind of work I want to do and also wanted to be positive help out where the firm needed me since I was brand new and hadn't earned anything yet. I also am a little worried about doing something so specialized and if/when I decide to leave the firm would I be able to have more options if I wasn't so specialized.

    The 3rd day on the job I was told I would be on a specific client for just 2 months but I was going to have to go out to the client each day, this threw me off as a tax person I was hoping to be in the office every day I didn't really want to drive/deal with traffic or be away from getting to spend time with the bulk of my coworkers but I thought it would be a short period so I didn't complain or argue and decided to still be the associate with a good attitude that they wanted me to be.

    The client I got put on was awful. We had extremely long hours everyday and through the weekend but I was barely working. Most days I just sat around waiting to be told to do some small task or often times having nothing all day until around 6 or 7pm and then being given a task that would keep me there till midnight. Also my time out here kept getting extended to the point where I am still out here now. I have only gotten to be in the office 4 times and the rest is out here with no real end in sight. There isn't much communication either. Each day we never know if it will be a day of work or if we have nothing going on which makes it really hard to have a personal life but still be committed to work.

    My attitude towards work has changed and I've really become cynical to the whole B4 lifestyle but I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to/plan to quit anytime soon but I want to be where I will be happy/ in an environment where I can at least be challenged / find the work somewhat interesting rather than what the current group I'm in. I also dont know if I just should suck it up since I'm so new and I get that my job is to help where they need be but the firm is always talking about "owning your career" and I want to feel at least a little interest in the work im doing.

    The management has also told me when I expressed some frustration to them that "this is the way it is sometimes." and i get that but do I really want to work in a group where working long hours doing absolutely nothing is the norm especially when my friends at the firm are not working nearly the kind of hours that I am.

    If anyone has advice on if I am right in feeling the way I feel or if I just need to accept my life right now in my first year. Also any advice on other tax groups people like either in public or in private to just to gain some perspective. (I know there are other posts about these too that I have read but always hearing more is nice too).

    submitted by /u/taxguy2018
    [link] [comments]

    People who have left public accounting, when did you know that it wasn't for you? [Serious]

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 01:41 PM PDT

    When the auditor asked for 4/30 accruals on 5/1.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 09:46 PM PDT

    My guide to doing well in Tax

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 08:07 AM PDT

    Tax was a little daunting for me. The prof was intimidating, the act was intimidating, as well as the material. I bombed the first mid term. I went from a C to an A after the exam. I ended up getting a 99 on the final. I thought I would put together a list of things that might help future students.

    1. Don't miss a single class - even if you have no idea what is going on, some semblance of the material will stick and you will have your aha moment when studying.

    2. Do not read your textbook - This is something I have had to learn the hard way. As a BA/MA in Econ holder reading the textbook was a staple in my studying. It's a huge waste of time in accounting.

    3. Tab your tax act as you go. It's such a ginormous book. It's intimidating. Tabing it will help.

    4. Do every assigned problem and exercise - look at the solution and for concepts you don't understand Google them. Tab the subsequent section in the tax act and give it a read.

    5. Use coursehero to find questions from other schools. This was the saving grace for me. A huge component to the exam was just being able to read the long questions and understanding where it would go. I searched the course codes for Tax at neighboring universities. Put together a bank of questions. These questions were super difficult and were in the format of typical exam questions.

    6. Obsess over the little things. Learning the rules is fine but you also have to learn the exceptions to that rule. For eg you will be asked to compute tax credits. Only a few are transferable. Those that are transferable, each has restrictions with regards to who it can be transferred to etc.

    That's pretty much it. I'm new to the accounting world, given how well I have done I wish I would have just pursued it during my undergrad.

    submitted by /u/BismackMyBiyombo
    [link] [comments]

    Outfit flow

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 08:02 PM PDT

    How many shirts/pairs of slacks/coats/pairs of shoes/different outfits do you guys have? I'm currently a student/part-time professional rocking 7 shirt coverage with 2 pairs of slacks and a go-to pair of Levi's for casual days. One pair of brown leather shoes because I'm absolutely dirt poor.

    submitted by /u/hhaessleraquino
    [link] [comments]

    Need to write a statement explaining my sub 3.0 GPA - Big 4

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 02:00 PM PDT

    I am supposed to start in late June and i need to write a statement explaining why my GPA is under 3.0, it is currently a 2.93 and my ACCO gpa is 3.045. Should I avoid making excuses? Do I mention I have passed 2 CPA sections already. Do I mention I am in two classes that could bump it above 3.0? P.S. I have already interned with them, this is for full-time.

    submitted by /u/nationnationnation
    [link] [comments]

    The art of accounting

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 10:16 PM PDT

    BEC - Last Minute Advice?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 02:34 PM PDT

    I am taking BEC on Friday and was wondering if you guys had any last minute advice? It sounds like Q2 is heavily focused on Financial calculations and Cost accounting. Those are my weaker subjects. Is cramming half of the Becker BEC in a couple of days doable? I can study full-time.

    In addition to copious amounts of MCQ's, would you guys recommend doing anything else?

    submitted by /u/JhawkCPA
    [link] [comments]

    Can you get an online bookeeping gig with no experience?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 10:03 PM PDT

    Going into my masters. I was wondering if you could do bookkeeping online with just a bachelor's. Would like some extra cash.

    submitted by /u/Bancroft97
    [link] [comments]

    Just took Intermediate 2 final

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 06:02 PM PDT

    90% sure I just failed the class and now I have to take the GMAT as well. Such a shitty feeling. Best of luck to everyone else out there!

    submitted by /u/rockandlove
    [link] [comments]

    How fast can I become a CPA?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 09:27 PM PDT

    I have 3 years of university in STEM. I'm Canadian. The BA in accounting/business is 4 years, and the CPA qualification course is 1 or two years. How many years can I shave off with the schooling I have already done?

    submitted by /u/BipolarChildfree2017
    [link] [comments]

    My director blocked a promotion for me for no reason. Confirmed by the management I was interviewing with.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 05:35 PM PDT

    Any advice will be appreciated!

    2 years is the average amount of time for promo out of my current role.

    I work for a large fortune 500.

    Manager told me I'm more than qualified, Sr Manager told me I'm more than qualified and both have vouched for me. They told me to apply so I did.

    I interviewed with 3 other teams, 1 of them asked to take me, my director stepped in and said to look into other prospects because I don't know what I'm doing (this is in a closed door meeting so I'm not supposed to know he said this, so I can't confront him)

    The manager who wanted to hire me told me off the books that he doesn't know why the director did that, obviously my direct managers would know more about what I do than someone who doesn't have much contact with me. He said everyone okayed the promotion, but your director just stopped it. There wasn't much clear reason why, but no one wanted to challenge him when he gets into his moods.

    I don't know if I offended him or what I did, but my work has always been good and I have a good rep around the company. I got awarded with bonuses for making improvements just 2 months ago.

    The director promoted a girl that is much less experienced than me with no CPA (not even any parts passed) instead. The manager who wanted me was "forced" to take her and was rather unhappy with it and thats why he was informing me of the situation privately on the side during my feedback. He complained she's sort of a slacker and will most likely put undue stress on him when he could have had someone competent like me. He muttered something about politics and asked me not to repeat this because he's tired of the politics and wants to give it to me straight, but doesn't want to get fired as he has a family to take care of.

    He said he was supposed to tell me that I needed to "take on more projects and to brush up on my excel skills," but that he couldn't do it with a straight face because he knows I'm much more knowledgable than even him (I've helped him fix up some macros in the past).

    My manager also confirmed that this happened in the meeting. My sr manager is a yes man, so he tries to keep me in the dark because he doesn't want turnover, but the manager did confirm that they both okayed me to move on and was abruptly stopped without much input.

    So I'm pretty much pigeonholed into my role, do I apply externally for a promotion at this point?

    submitted by /u/IswagIcook
    [link] [comments]

    Two interviews upcoming

    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 05:33 PM PDT

    Hello! I am a senior accounting major graduating in August. I have a couple interviews coming up at two public accounting firms in town. I have interned for the past two tax seasons at another firm in town. Is there anything I should watch or prepare for? These firms are smaller sized firms in the southeast.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/amwalsh26
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment